Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ‘01 929 has a wickedly abrupt throttle response, especially when the revs are low and I am trying to sneak the power back on in a slow corner. I just removed my Akrapovic bolt on (put the stock pipe back on after my noisy pipe contributed to a speeding ticket), and it got way worse. Is anyone using a power commander and a stock pipe? Does this help with the throttle response? :idunno:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t have a power commander, so it has always had the stock fuel / air map. The Akro seemed to take the edge off the abrupt throttle response. But now that I am stock again, the abruptness is back with a vengeance. I was wondering if installing a power commander on an otherwise stock engine would help clean up the drivability? It’s a California model if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Anecdotal report:
I run an Erion Racing can with map #1 loaded on my PCIII. This map was loaded by Dan Kyle and probably is not the same as the Dynojet map. I temporarily replaced my stock can last year for 'quieter' mode without changing the PCIII. It felt smoother to me regarding throttle response, and a bit 'zippier' by SOTP compared to stock without the PCIII.

So the PCIII might do the job, but see if you can borrow one to check before you buy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ran a PCIII with a stock pipe and the 001 map from the dyno jet site. My bike is also a california model. I think it did make a big difference with the on/off throttle response. Much smoother. If you can borrow one to find out that would be the way to go as they are alot of money. I used that set-up while I saved for a full pipe. Hope that helps :thumb:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've always had this problem with my 929. It feels like the spike is when the chain tightens up, not from anything engine related. Anyone else notice this?

I try to avoid it by taking even slow turns in 2nd gear. There's more than enough power to spin the wheel in 2nd, so I don't really see the point in dropping down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts