Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. I bought a used 01 f4i and the guy had put a power commander on it. He briefly explained how it worked to me but I still have a question. He recommended I keep it set to low until I was extremely comfortable. Is this the best method, or is it doing something else besides adjusting bike power?

The reason I ask is he talked about getting 60+ mpg, and I'm noticing I don't get near that.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Greetings all. I bought a used 01 f4i and the guy had put a power commander on it. He briefly explained how it worked to me but I still have a question. He recommended I keep it set to low until I was extremely comfortable. Is this the best method, or is it doing something else besides adjusting bike power?

The reason I ask is he talked about getting 60+ mpg, and I'm noticing I don't get near that.
Set to low?
It doesn't adjust bike power and it doesn't have a low (or any other) setting.
It is a tuning device that allows you to create a fuel map to suit the bike with optimal air/fuel ratio and smoothest possible power curve more usable power.
Go to powercommander.com and download the manual so you can understand what it does.
60mpg (25kpl) sounds like fantasy to me, at least in normal use.
I get around 30mpg (15kpl) normally out of my ZX6R and 46mpg (20kpl) is fairly easy if I take it easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was out riding all day today and did some reading tonight. You are correct, and wow that guy I guess didn't know what he was talking about. There are actually three buttons on my power commander (low, mid, high) but looking at the manual and how they work, I think it'll just be easier for me to download a map off of the power commander website and update it there.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm still new to the world of motorcycles and learning as I go.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was out riding all day today and did some reading tonight. You are correct, and wow that guy I guess didn't know what he was talking about. There are actually three buttons on my power commander (low, mid, high) but looking at the manual and how they work, I think it'll just be easier for me to download a map off of the power commander website and update it there.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm still new to the world of motorcycles and learning as I go.
Yes, I would generally recommend making adjustments via the map rather than the buttons.
Learning is what life is all about :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.