Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed I have a little blue/white smoke coming from the exhaust when revving up pretty high. I recognized this as probably rings getting worn, but it only smokes after the htev is open (when it gets loud) and only then it's just a tiny poof.

So I got nervous and checked my oil cap to see if there was blow by, there is. But I got to thinking, on a car, the oil cap is on the valve cover where here it's on the crank case. So is it supposed to have pressure or not?

Soothe my nerves here, I don't want to have to rebuild it this winter. :crying:

·
Registered
254 Posts
In automotive engines they have a PCV valve. "Positive Crankcase Ventilation." This allows the natural blow by a place to vent. (no such thing as perfectly sealing rings)

There will always be blow by, the question is how much is to much?

Leakdown or Compression test will tell you enough. Not sure what the spec is, but I am sure Bladeracer does.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I noticed I have a little blue/white smoke coming from the exhaust when revving up pretty high. I recognized this as probably rings getting worn, but it only smokes after the htev is open (when it gets loud) and only then it's just a tiny poof.

So I got nervous and checked my oil cap to see if there was blow by, there is. But I got to thinking, on a car, the oil cap is on the valve cover where here it's on the crank case. So is it supposed to have pressure or not?

Soothe my nerves here, I don't want to have to rebuild it this winter. :crying:

If you're revving it high in neutral then it's normal.
Yes, all engines have crankcase pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts