Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to sell my 929 right now. A friend of a friend is selling his 1999 Honda F4. It was laid over on one side but had it's cosmetics replaced. Current condition is anywhere between OK to Good. It has 16K with a few misc mods. All in all it's OK. He wants $3682.59 and is firm because thats what he owes the bank. I looked through a few sources and the price seems OK. But I'm looking for a cheaper bike ($2500-3000). Maybe an F3 or F2. What do you guys think? Is there a better used bike out there for this price range?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If your going from a 929 to a 600..I would go F4 at the least...you would not be happy with an F2 or F3.  IMO, thats older tech.  If it were me I would try to keep as current as I could. Call around, check Ebay, you will probably find someone that needs money or something. that would get you a better deal. Just make sure the frame is straight, and it has a clean title.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I upgraded from an F4 to a 929 a few years ago.  I also had an F2 and F3 prior to the F4.  The F4 is a very capable bike and had made significant strides over the F2's and 3's.

I think that's a pretty good deal on the F4 - looking at cycle trader, most want in the $4k to $5k range (too high, I think).

There are no differences between the '99 model and the 2000 model.  It's an easy bike to work on (not that you ever need to... it IS a Honda) and oil changes are pretty straight-forward.

Just be prepared to rev the hell out of it... it ain't got the torque of the 929

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
F4's still got no trunk right? Or am I mistaken?

I think the F4 is a decent deal. No one's getting ripped off there. Unless you're tracking it lots, F2 and F3 may not be as fun, IMO. I went from an F3 to 929. The difference was unreal.

Remember the F4 is still carbs.

·
Registered
700 Posts
asiliat : F4's still got no trunk right?  Or am I mistaken?

I think the F4 is a decent deal.  No one's getting ripped off there.  Unless you're tracking it lots, F2 and F3 may not be as fun, IMO.  I went from an F3 to 929.  The difference was unreal.

Remember the F4 is still carbs.
The whole seat comes off (pilot and pillion is one piece).  There's quite a bit of space back there... not as much as the 929, but enough for a few essentials.

The F4 at bone stock was equivalent to power/weight/etc. as our full-on track-prepped F3.

I don't know what the stigma is against carbs versus FI other than not having to deal with jetting... I never had any problems with the carbs on mine

·
Registered
700 Posts
asiliat : jetting IMO is a pain, that and cleaning carbs.

IMO of course, I'm not mechanically inclined.
True - it can be.  But only necessary if a full system is installed.  Carb cleaning shouldn't be an issue as long as you keep running fresh fuel through those carbs (meaning: ride it, don't park it  )

·
Registered
595 Posts
If the F4 has a clean title, that's a very good deal. A like-new condition, low mileage F4 will sometimes go for nearly $6000.

As for the carbs, the F4 is as smooth as you can get. Honda's FI systems should be that good from the factory but they are not.

There is a storage space, but it is very tiny. Barely enough room for a tool kit, manuals, and a few small items.

If you're worried about the power, go down a tooth on the front. I did this to my F4, and the difference is amazing. It gives it a much more user-friendly pull to it, and it is incredibly cheap. It is the best mod for the money no doubt!

I would jump on this bike if it is in good shape and has a clean title. You won't be sorry. You are getting a lot of bike for very little money!

I hope everything works out for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts