Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, got a 2001 cbr 929rr that will not start took off gas tank everything seems to be fine. The fuel pump only works when the tank is grounded against the frame. Also it looks like the injectors aren't working. Gettng spark and when the fuel pump gets grounded fuel goes through the fuel rail. Somebody please give me an idea as to what i can try... Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
well considering the fuel pump only works with the tank touching the frame, i would say you probably have a bad ground somewhere, Check all your wiring and connectors to make sure nothing vibrated off or corroded up to create lack of ground.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I did visually check o\all wires that were not inside any harnesses.all seems good but iguess next thing to do is opens all harnesses

·
Registered
5 Posts
heres what i would do, load it in your truck, take it to someone who knows what they are doing, and hope for the best...good luck with that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Guys, got a 2001 cbr 929rr that will not start took off gas tank everything seems to be fine. The fuel pump only works when the tank is grounded against the frame. Also it looks like the injectors aren't working. Gettng spark and when the fuel pump gets grounded fuel goes through the fuel rail. Somebody please give me an idea as to what i can try... Thanks
Put it back together and run another ground cable... quick fix:thumb:

·
Registered
917 Posts
yah just dont know if that would have anything to do with the injectors not working?
The injectors would be dependent on a completed electrical circuit as well. I'm not looking at a Schematic right now but I'm guessing that Fuel Pump and Injectors my have at least part of the circuit in common.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just thought i would post the results of matman929 's delima...the problem has been solved...we discovered that the orange isolated ground connector that is tapped to the main wiring harness under the right side of the gas tank had some pretty good corrosion there, and so black tracking on the terminals...took it all apart and cleaned everything up perfectly and put it all back together...this solved the fuel pump not running concern...we then regained confidence and had what it took to procede with resolving the issue. haha...we knew we had fuel, pulled the plugs, spark was weak, but there, the plugs were black, we cleaned them up to like new condition, reinstalled them,,,and guess what? shes running fine...problem solved...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having this same problem, the tank grounding through the frame. I spent three days checking connections, wire breaks, and measuring OHMS with no success in finding the problem. After rewiring the fuel pump mount because of old broken wires ( and its ALOT cheaper than buying a new or used one) I plugged the tank back in and grounded it to the frame just to test the wiring job. in doing so I noticed a clicking noise and tracked it to the Engine Stop Relay (ESR), pulled the ESR and noticed a good amount of corrosion on the connectors. Cleaned them up with a wire brush and followed up the cleaning using hand sanitizer and Q-tips to ensure the connectors were clean enough. Finished up by applying a thin coat of petroleum jelly to the male end to prevent a future reoccurrence. Works like a charm now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having this same problem, the tank grounding through the frame. I spent three days checking connections, wire breaks, and measuring OHMS with no success in finding the problem. After rewiring the fuel pump mount because of old broken wires ( and its ALOT cheaper than buying a new or used one) I plugged the tank back in and grounded it to the frame just to test the wiring job. in doing so I noticed a clicking noise and tracked it to the Engine Stop Relay (ESR), pulled the ESR and noticed a good amount of corrosion on the connectors. Cleaned them up with a wire brush and followed up the cleaning using hand sanitizer and Q-tips to ensure the connectors were clean enough. Finished up by applying a thin coat of petroleum jelly to the male end to prevent a future reoccurrence. Works like a charm now.
Where is the esr relay on 2000 929 repsol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts