Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...

Its Go time... I am thinking mods to my bike to be ready for this year and I am a bit confused as to what to do first, as I can't do it all at once. With only 118 miles on the beast, I have limited seat time and as I ride it more, priorities may become clearer for me, but for now, its all kind of up in the air...

So far I have the following priorities.

1. Brake lines (hey, I just feel better with braided steel)
2. Shock
3. Forks (who knows RR forks??)
4. Rearsets
5. PCIII
6. Damper
7. Tires
8. Tracktime
97. Cosmetic mods

What to do first? I'm looking for input on the order in which to do things. All of these things will get done eventually, its a matter of WHEN in relation to other things...

CC

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Your buddy Dan Kyle does the RR forks all the time.

I recommend the following order:

Forks
Shock
Brakelines
Damper
Tires
PC 111
Rearsets
Exhaust

for cosmetic mods, I say just paint it green with a broom . . .

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Abtech's are about what I'd do. Just to be a wiseass of sorts, if money limited I'd do the shock and just respring the front first. I did this on my 929 and it worked pretty good. If the 600RR's shock is the shiz, and the fork is horrible, than just tell me to shut up... :pointup:

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
I'd move the damper a little farther down the line. I have over 3k miles of seat time and have not had even a remote hint of headshake on this bike. And yes, I do ride the bike :p

The stock Showa suspension is already excellent stuff. If anything, get it revalved, but unless you're racing there's really no need to spend the money on the Ohlins.

Tires/tracktime/PCIII & exhaust(there's a 17lb dif between a full Akra and stock systems) and sprockets is where I'd put money. It comes with a 525 chain IIRC, so going to a 520 chain won't really make that much of a difference I don't think :idunno:

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Honestly the first thing I have changed for many years is the brake lines. Cheap and easy, and once you've had a solid brake system it is very hard to use stock rubber lines - at least for me.
Whip those lines on her right away while you send off for a shock and forks.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
If I were to repeat my last RR performance again Id do it like this:
(ie: non 600rr specific, but from my brief experiences with rr bikes..because I know thats really why you posted.)

Brakelines (cuz they're 150$ that you drop today and feel the effect today, if your new to the machine and are thinkin about it [for a reason, like softies?] just do it.)

Forks (assuming its the typical Honda gig there..)

Shock (after you can feel your wallet again, treat the rear quarters too)

PC 111 (now that its planted, work on suiting the curve to your liking)

Rearsets (now that its to your liking - get low)

Exhaust (now that your dragging a knee in city blox cause your comfy, pimp it out some :D but don't get the Akro cause it looks like a made-to-fit fartpipe, damn I didnt realize the stocker was so much ##...)

Tires (x10)

Damper (sure...I guess, but if it were me by time I got to thi$ point, I'd have gotten sick of it and justified the purchase of an HESD [and of course the accessory 1000rr that comes with :D])

Then again you keep sayin 'track' alot, maybe Id pepper that list with tires a little differently...and kick the damper (sans acces.) up the line right after suspenders.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Or you could justr get a Full Arata, PCIII, clear indicators, small number plate bracket, braided lines, velocity stacks, new rear shock fork work and an Ohlins damper at about the same time, and fit them as they turn up in the mail like I have been doing :nod:

But let me tell you, the wallet is in a very sorry looking shape...

Z...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Wow, it seems with 118miles, you really dont like the bike if you are planning on all that unless you are seriously going to do tons of track time or race it.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
1) Loud exhaust

2) Anodized bolt kit

3) 200 series rear tire

4) Fake carbon anything

5) Keith Code's Wheelie School

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
tigerblade said:
1) Loud exhaust

2) Anodized bolt kit

3) 200 series rear tire

4) Fake carbon anything

5) Keith Code's Wheelie School
Chrome rims....

Ram Air Kit...

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ND4SPD said:
I'd move the damper a little farther down the line. I have over 3k miles of seat time and have not had even a remote hint of headshake on this bike. And yes, I do ride the bike :p

The stock Showa suspension is already excellent stuff. If anything, get it revalved, but unless you're racing there's really no need to spend the money on the Ohlins.
If I was a fly weight like you, that would be good, the stock suspension is better than any honda I've ridden. Its not as overly damped on the compression side like the 929/954 forks were... I really didn't think it needed a damper either, therefore its way down my list...

As it stands right now, I am thinking of getting an ohlins rear and respringing the front (as LTL suggested). After the heavier springs go up front, I'd like to see where that puts the damping... If its out of whack still, I'll send them to dan to massages the stack...

Brake lines at $70 for the front is a no brainer... Then the rearsets. Exhaust is a ways down my list right now. With no worries of ground clearance issues from the stocker, at this point, I don't see the need. These are all track oriented mods, therefore the cosmetic stuff can wait for a while. (though a seat cowl will come sooner than later!)

Thanks for the advice so far!

CC

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
I'd still add a damper before you go to the track. I haven't ridden a 600RR but I'd rather have one and not need it than not have one and find out I needed it. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts