Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new the the crotch rocket scene and I just bought a 2002 CBR 600 f4i. This bike had sat for a while, but it was started regularly and when i bought it, it started with ease and sounded and ran great. When i get it home it's running and starting just as it should before i go to bed. I wake up and try to start it and nothing. So i thought maybe i flooded it, so i let it sit another day not messing with it and today it does the same thing. If this helps any, the guy i bought it from kept it in a warm garage, and i kept it under my car port on a cool night when it began to start having this problem. From all i can think of is that I either fouled out my plugs or it's something with the fuel injection. Please, if anyone has suggestions it would help greatly. I don't want to get into spending a ton on taking it to a shop if i can fix it myself. I'm just confused as to how it can go from running and starting easily one night and the next morning not start at all. Thanks for any suggestions!! I need em!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello there, make sure it is NOT in gear. The bike wont start if its in gear and when it does start, you can put it in gear with the kickstand down. Is the battery almost dead? are you lights dim?

·
Registered
216 Posts
another think to check is are you using the choke while starting?

and i think the poster above me meant to say you CANNOT put it in gear with the kickstand down.

gl mate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your right..I meant you CAN NOT put it in gear with the kickstand down(or it will die) :)

Its a safety feature so you dont take off try to turn and damage your bike. Good luck with your bike though, I love my f4i. It is my first bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think there was a choke since it was fuel injected. If there is please let me know where it is! I've checked all the other things, but it still won't start. Thanks for the suggestions and please keep em coming!

·
Registered
65 Posts
running one day then dead the next....sounds like a gsxr!! like the others said check battery,a cable could have come loose and not making contact. its unlikely that you flooded a injected bike. is it dead or turning over??

·
Banned
36 Posts
Something a buddy told me, check the regulator rectifier aka altinator... He said that on the 02 and later years they tend to have a problem, or check the juice on your battery like they posted above. :idunno:

gl w/ that

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's cranking and everthing, just not catching. Do you guys think i should put new spark plugs in it?
I have known people to hit the kill switch on the handle bar and not realise it.. check the kill switch, check side stand switch for shorting , fuel filter and fuel pump...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Same thing happened to me on my 600RR. Battery was fully charged on my tender, engine would turn, but it wouldn't catch. I had a friend help me push start it, I popped the clutch, and she came to life, smoke shooting out of my exhaust. Not sure why this happened, but i never had a prob after that. So, try push starting it, maybe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2002 FI (uK model). Mine broke down on the way to work this morning. I think the problem is the fuel pump in the tank. When you turn the key on the F4 do you hear the fuel pump start as the speedometer rubs down to zero! If you hear silence but the starter turns as normal - it is your fuel pump. Normally you have a couple of pronlems leading up to this - a couple of instanced when the engine dies, especially after heavy accerleration. So basically if you cannot hear the fuel pump when you turn the key - its probably the fuel pump living in the tank (but try all connections inase it has been over some heavy bumps!)

:thumb:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
It's cranking and everthing, just not catching. Do you guys think i should put new spark plugs in it?

Hmmm this sounds familiar. You have a Power Commander??? If so, take it out of the loop and see if it starts. Just fought with my R-1 for 3 days before taking the thing out of the loop. She fired right up. If that fails, pull a plug and see if you have spark.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problems with my 04 F4i a couple weeks ago. It had set up for a while without running(not a cold weather rider) and when I tried to start it, it wouldn't. so I checked everything, disassembled it to the injectors and could find nothing. Put it all back together and it miraculously started. I rode it for two days, it smoked a little too. then next morning it would not start, I tried everything again. Come to find out all of my spark plugs were fouled and one injector was hung open.

so, check your spark plugs, go ahead and change em while you have it apart. It's worth it believe me. And throw some Berryman's injector cleaner in on a freshtank of fuel. You'll be amazed.

Mine's been running ever since with no problems!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for that -

The result of my problem in the end was a loose conection to the fuel pump that caused an intermittent problem. That's the state of british roads for you - too many holes. At least the garage replaced at the same time the cam chain tensioner - got through three is 18 months. If any of you have the rattle from the cam chain tensioner Honda do replace these as they accept that the ones fitted to CBR 600 FS / F4 etc have problems.

Anyway that's all for now!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would go with the plugs first before you take it in. I just bought an F4 and although its not the same as the f4i I had the same problem , I bought the bike and the battery was dead then i jumped it and it started. Got a new battery and charged it up then put it in and added some fresh gas and it wouldnt go at all .
I did everything I could think of but check the plugs , so I finally did that and my plugs were toast , I put new ones in and it started up right away! It was the wierdest thing , it was running one day and not the next! Check your plugs for sure! Hope this helps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts