Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Went out the other day to start the bike up RR-V.
Had to jump from the car, as engine would not fire.
Removed plugs and found them heavily sooted up, cleaned, checked gap and put back in.

Same thing again, ran for a few seconds but sounded quite rough.

I'm I off the mark, if I think the mixture is too rich and I'm flooding the engine?

Any advice on how to reduce the petrol/air mixture.

Plugs we're new last year and only covered a few thousand miles since then.

Mac:help:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
How long was the bike standing? Are you sure the gasoline/petrol is still good?

Suggest you have the battery tested and replace it if necessary. Honda says in their service manual that "Even under normal use, the performance of the battery deteriorates after 2-3 years", so in my opinion after two years it is on borrowed time.

Also go through a complete charging system diagnostic to see if you have any other problems. I suspect that many people try to address operating problems by tweaking the mixture instead of first doing the relatively hard work of ensuring the electrical system is perfect.

Take the plugs out again and clean them thoroughly, preferably using a propane torch to get them real hot, too.

Now that the plugs have been cleaned, take the bike for a nice run. That's the time to read the plugs, not immediately after some failed starting attempts. In my opinion it is only then that you should try making mixture adjustments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike is standard no mods.
I'm not a heavy rever.

The bike been laid up since October.
At the begining I would start the bike once a week and let it warm up,
but then I started to do it once a fortnight, a month etc (you get the picture).
The petrol might be a good place to start.
I'll drain the carbs and add a gallon of fresh petrol.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers for the advice

Mac:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts