Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is difficult to explain.
It started yesterday, after I spent 2 hours in stop and go traffic.
Since then I am unable to give it gas smoothly. Everytime a open the throutle after shifting or after closing and opening the throutle the bike is very “jerky” and then goes smothly again. It's major problem when turning, you open the gas a bit and it jumps. I am not sure if the chain or sprokets that are causing the problem but I cannot ride it this way. It will be down in no time. Already had the back end step out after of this jumps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :idunno:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Do you have a PCIII? If so, maybe the map got corrupted and you'll need to simply reload it. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have a PCIII and I uploaded the 2 different maps with the same result. It never did this until yesterday. Almost like I have too much play in the drive train....

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Hmmm... I probably shouldn't be giving advice here since I'm no mechanic but I'd think you could unplug the PCIII to eliminate that from the equation?

Could it be that your chain is loose and what you are really feeling is the lash from a loose chain?

Could it be that your throttle has too much free-play and that as you think you're rolling on there's nothing then suddenly you hit the gas?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nomad, thank you for your advice,

I checked the chain, when pushed, it just touches the swingarm, I might tight it a bit. I will be loading a "0" map into the power commander and see if that works (it's a lot of work to disconnect it with the steering damper and all but I might have to if this doesn't get resolved).
I will have to check the throttle free play. It's possible. I not sure how to adjust, I will have to check the owner's manual

It just started 2 days ago. The bike reached a temp of 222 for about 30 secs and ran between 200 and 217 for about 15 min. I don't think this could have caused the problem.

Thank you for all the help.... I will keep you posted. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Chain slack, measured in the middle, should be about 1.75 inches. I forget how to adjust the throttle freeplay offhand, but I've done it and it was really easy. I seem to recall there's a nut on the throttle cable. Two, actually. One is the locking one you loosen first, then turn the big one, then retighten the locking one. I left a very small amount of play in mine, but from the factory it had way too much. Good luck!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Maser said:
I will be loading a "0" map into the power commander and see if that works (it's a lot of work to disconnect it with the steering damper and all but I might have to if this doesn't get resolved).

Thank you for all the help.... I will keep you posted. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry man but why does a steering damper involve the PC :huh:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry man but why does a steering damper involve the PC
No Problem, I have a toby dumper on my bike, the only way to get to the FI connector is by undoing the two screws that hold the dumper lower bracket and tank in place. Only them I can lift the tank enough to get to the plug. I can "0" out all the setting in the PCIII but if the problem with the PCIII hardware related, "0" out might not be enough. Adjusting the throutle is very easy, undo the one nut and then rotate the second bracket for more or less play. I check that adjustment all seems ok. I am starting to get feeling this is PCIII setting problem.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Oh ok that makes sense. I never removed the tank when I put mine in, I think I used one of my long Snap On hook tools and a few other gadgets. I installed alarms for a couple of years, you get used to dealing with wiring harnesses in tight places.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Don't load a zero map into your PC3. If it has a electrical prblem it won't matter. Just lift the tank and unplug it. While your under there check around the engine for any loose, cracked, or melted vac hoses around the throttle bodies. Check the hoses to the map sensor located on the back of the airbox.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will check the hoses tonight. I thought the problem might have been bad gas but after draining the take and filling it back up with Sunoco 94 (the only gas this bike as ever seen), the problem remained. Even at 30mph, with 2-5% gas, the bike still runs bad.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well let me start by saying that I feel really stupid. I apreciate all the help I received from you guys.
Problem solved.....
I took my GSXR600 out for a spin today and ran great, I could lean it , give it gas coming out of the turns, no problems. I thought I was going crazy, so I had to check.... I then proceeded to take the 929 out. I couldn't lean it , felt very shaky, on and off the gas would cause the front to jump, and the rear to move.
Decided to come home and park it until I got a chance to take it to the shop. One one final desperate act, I decided to check the tire presures. Front 32psi, rear 6. This tire has less then 300 miles on it. I am pissed. I nail right through it.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Glad it was something simple, not that a nail in your new rear tire is any fun. :mad: Guess it beats a major mechanical problem, though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maser,

Sorry for my Jonny come lately post.

Glad everything turned out. As a part of each pre-ride inspection, I always check my fluids, chain and tire pressure.. Just for good measure :thumb:

YellRR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts