Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a non-high-roller programmable touch screen on the market these days? Looking for something that will control 10 toggle switches, thinking a cool idea would be a nice touch screen, I have a universal touch screen remote for my tv so I know theres some form of device already invented.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Well, Philips has been making some good touch screen controllers for a while. Check out the Pronto line at www.pronto.philips.com. The lower end prontos are only 150 bucks or so. You could go all out with a RC9800i, which is their top of the line WiFi enabled ubergeek device. Remember that all these do is send out control signals, if you need to actually switch something on or off you will need to pair them with some X-10 boxes or something.

Pretty much anything past that is going to get into multi-thousand dollar crestron territory.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those seem to be remote controls, I'm looking for something to combine 10 toggle switches in one control, so I would think it would have to be a wired device. The toggle switches range in the number of prongs but if it were controlled by a PLC device it would take up far less space and have all the same controls.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Yeah, they are remotes. So, you take the signal from the remotes and control your devices with it. These toggle switches low voltage? 110 AC? There are all sorts of ways to do this, I guess it just depends on your app.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
MrX954 said:
Those seem to be remote controls, I'm looking for something to combine 10 toggle switches in one control, so I would think it would have to be a wired device. The toggle switches range in the number of prongs but if it were controlled by a PLC device it would take up far less space and have all the same controls.
Lots of people making those kinds of things, but automationdirect.com has some "decent" inexpensive stuff... :twocents:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Yep, I'm an Allen Bradley guy myself, but have used some of the PLCDirect stuff for customers on a budget. They have some nice little PLC's and HMI's for not too much dough...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
My touchscreen of choice is the RTI stuff ( http://www.rticorp.com/ )at the moment.The unit can be used tsandalone or as a control unit for the "Brain box" which has 6 individually assignable Ir outputs, RS 232, and I think 6 assignable relays (can be set to latching or momemtary).

You can choose from various different handsets from hard key only to colour touchscreen. In my opinion, it's superior to the Phillips/Marantz line up (and remember, I program these things every day, I know which I prefer to use and program) but I do think the Pronto series is cheaper. Whatever you do, do not go below the Philips TSU 3000/Marants RC5400 (New models). If you want to go the Marantz/philips route , I'd suggest the older RC5200 - you'll need to find it on ebay, but the serial interface is about 400% faster than the USB interface on the later models, and the unit is much mor euser friendly - not to mention the older 4 tone gray screen is much easier to read than the newer 16 tone gray screen... If you want to go real cheap - you ar ebound to find a Marants RC5000 or Philips Pronto (I think TSU 1000/2000 was the model series) for about $50US form ebay. Let me know if you want more details...

z...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts