Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i think it might be time to start my project thread.
Unfortunately it will be a little slow, but it will be moving.

I got my 2002 954 with 30k on the clock, (like 16k miles for you Americans) as part payment for my wifes Nissan Skyline.
In the end i paid like $1500 AUD for it.

The guy before me was a bit of an odd character, and the bike was not in the best condition, though it certainly rode well.

It had cheap looking LED indicators in the front, that have since been broken (me and my wife during moving), a few broken bits of fairing, and a broken bracket on the headlight assembly.
It has a Yoshimura exhaust...i need to look at it a bit more and make sure it isn't a full exhaust...
Some minor scratching on the chassis...so not a pile of crap, but not how i wanted it.

The plans (for now):
New paint job
New Akrapovic EVO Titanium exhaust (if i can find one...)
New Brembo calipers, disks, lines, MC, pads, etc.
Redo suspension internals and new rear suspension
Single Seat Cowl...but won't be removing the pegs as my wife will shoot me if i can't take her for a ride.
New headlight assembly (considering LED lights)
New mirrors
New Flushmount indicators
New Michelin Tyres
Steering stabilizer/damper
New mirrors
PC3 (or newer?)
New Dash
GPS Security System & Alarm System

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
28March2019

Took the bike in for a major service.
Making sure all is good.
All fluids, filters, etc. replaced...regardless if needed at my request.
Engine pulled down and everything made sure to be within spec. All good.
Front calipers dragging...piston lubed and working much better...will be replacing anyway.
I was very happy with this result, as i had to admit i felt the cost of a major was a gamble with the way it was looking...

Also bought a single seat cowl.

Attachments

Reactions: Stonemountain

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
01April2019

Bike taken to the paint place.
Spoken with the owner, to make sure we are on the same page for the design.
When i walk in, he just so happens to have posters of the bike i want to emulate somewhat all over his walls.
Turns out the livery is his favorite of his all time icon...I guess i would have to assume it's in safe hands...

The place comes highly reccommended...and he has two Hondas of his own there...a SP1 Fireblade is his personal bike, airbrushed and looking mean.
Also has an older mid-90s Fireblade which was his old race bike. Still looking great, despite the layer of sanding dust covering it.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
02April2019

At the recommendation of one of your very own, bought a set of Proton LED flushmount indicators.
I was looking everywhere for the right set and everything looked either too cheap or too bulky.

I hope they suit the livery.
Also have to wait a month or so for them to come to me from in the great US of A haha.

Attachments

Reactions: MrPickwick

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
05 April 2019 (I thought I had already posted this)

Not much to update.
I bought another headlight assembly as the current one had a snapped bracket on the left side.
It was solid, being held on with a 'custom' bracket, but I don't intend to accept that.

Almost bought a custom LED Angel Eyes setup, but in the end, I couldn't picture it suiting the styling I am going for.
Ended up paying just $300 for a new housing, which should arrive in another day.
I might still end up upgrading to LED bulbs, but that will have to wait until it is on the road as the initial inspection won't accept aftermarket LED bulbs as roadworthy.

I have also since found a supplier who can get me the Brembo set up for the bike. Almost all current Brembo kits available now have gone to Radial mounts, and I don't see the need to upgrade from my Axials. At my skill level, I would guarantee that I would never know the difference.

On a side note, my wife just bought her first bike to learn on. An old 1994 Virago XV535 with just 22k kilometers on the clock...I have never ridden a cruiser before...compared to the sports bikes, I feel like I am just learning again!
When she gets her licence this weekend, I hope she enjoys it as much as I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
12 April 2019

So I have decided to scrap the idea of Akrapovic for the exhaust due to my inability to get one.
There was one on ImportMonster which would have totalled over $2500 for one in not perfect condition.
Since then, I have decided on Hindle, as I love the sound of it, and the look is classy, and I can get brand new still.

I will be getting the Evolution muffler, in Titanium/Black Cap.

The question then, is either Low Mount, or High Mount.
I prefer the looks of High Mount, however I need to be able to get my wife on the back still, so I need to be able to keep the rear pegs.

Is it possible to keep pegs with a High Mount? Any disadvantages?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,168 Posts
12 April 2019

So I have decided to scrap the idea of Akrapovic for the exhaust due to my inability to get one.
There was one on ImportMonster which would have totalled over $2500 for one in not perfect condition.
Since then, I have decided on Hindle, as I love the sound of it, and the look is classy, and I can get brand new still.

I will be getting the Evolution muffler, in Titanium/Black Cap.

The question then, is either Low Mount, or High Mount.
I prefer the looks of High Mount, however I need to be able to get my wife on the back still, so I need to be able to keep the rear pegs.

Is it possible to keep pegs with a High Mount? Any disadvantages?
Get the high mount, Honda never should have put a passenger seat on the 954. Your wife will thank you for not subjecting her to that torture anymore :wink

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get the high mount, Honda never should have put a passenger seat on the 954. Your wife will thank you for not subjecting her to that torture anymore :wink
Tempting...if I get the inevitable divorce that would be the result of a permanent single seater, then I would have more money to spend on the important person....me!

She lost her mind when I ordered a single seat cowl...I had to calm her down by showing her how easy it is to swap between the single cowl and the rear seat!

·
Registered
227 Posts
my lady gets on the 954 here and there. but i keep the second seat only on standby lol. I just used longer bolts and was able to mount ok with my high mount remus. but i always take it off and go back to the single seat setup..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
16 April 2019

Another small progress update.

My Proton 500 flushmount indicators just arrived from the USA, so hopefully they will look good on with my paint.
If they end up suiting, and can be mounted appropriately, I will order another set for the rear.

My only concern is that the 9 LEDs are extremely visible through the clear lens, so I have sent off an email asking if they will still be bright enough if I get some spray-on tinter (for tail lights), which hopefully should make it less obvious.

I have also ordered a new set of black aluminium bar ends. They are black with a white CBR logo on them. Not expensive, just off eBay. I hope they look decent in real life. I have been unable to find any I liked in local shops.

Also, my personalized plates should arrive any day now!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
16 April 2019

OK, so today ends up quite expensive...

The bill for today includes the following:

Scotts Performance Steering Damper
Dynojet Power Commander V
Brembo Front Caliper Pair
Brembo Rear Caliper
Brembo Disks - Front & Rear
HEL ADR Approved Braided Lines
Brembo Master Cylinder Kit
Brembo Pads (Street Spec only)

I will still need to organize the brackets for the Brembos as the mounting spaces are different.
I will also be seeing my bike on Thursday to drop off the new headlight assembly...hopefully there is something to see!

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
18 April 2019

Not much happened, but paid for all of the invoices outstanding from last time.

I also went to see my bike and bring him the new headlights and indicators.

Fairings and tank are off, and found that there were a few too many broken tabs and sections on the top fairing for my liking. Also extra spots in the inner fairings were cut out by the previous owner..not happy.

The painter can fix up the main fairing but we know it won’t be as good as new, so now begins the search for a new one...well from a wrecker. New is $900!
No wreckers that I have talked to have it, but I did manage to secure the two inner fairings. The search continues.

HELP- as you can see in the second photo, the one of the inside of the top fairing, there are two unused and broken bolt holes...what is supposed to mount there? My guy thought maybe a dash cowl but I’ve been unable to find anything....

While I was at it I bought another set of Proton 500 indicators for the rear, a new bolt set, and was told my new personalised plates should be here shortly!

On a side note, bought the wife a new addition to our family...a blue 2019 Honda GROM.

Attachments

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chinese fairings might be a more economical option, they’re not OEM but if fitted properly it’s hard to tell the difference.
I have considered it, but I was concerned about fitment.
I’d rather pay 400 or so for a genuine fairing if it was available.

However...I may have no choice...

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I was going to suggest Chinese fairings, but being a new guy on the street, I wasn't sure if I'd be frowned upon or even have my membership suspended:eek::wink.

But first-hand info is always good. I have a set on my 2011 Blade, purchased from Auctmarts. I've provided the link direct to CBR954: https://shop.auctmarts.com/fairings/honda/cbr954rr.html

I had no probs with fitment other than to shave some paint from inside of tab slots. There are many Chinese fairing retailers, but I suspect only a couple of manufacturers. Those marketed under the 'Monster' brand also carry a good reputation.

My Chinese Castrol below:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts