Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20200126_151933.jpg

Thought I'd start a thread for my project. Paid £500 for it back in February. Came with full service history, stacks of receipts and it's got a Yoshimura R3 end can on it. Mechanically it's straight and true but needs a few bits and bobs. Fork seals, rear shock, chain kit, brake pads, braided hoses, tyres and a full service. Plan is just to get the bike running and riding as it should. No mods or upgrades to the engine, brakes or suspension are planned.

20200829_111448.jpg

20200829_111457.jpg

Already on with the fairings 😂😂

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Good to see you've started the thread, Ben.

If I can offer one tip for long-term projects, that is to take pics of sections dismantled, and in particular where bolts and screws go. I label them into small zip seal bags (freezer bags) so there's never a 'Where the frig did this come from?' moment when re-assembling.

Now you have full access to the front, you might be wise to check the head stem bearings too. All the best once again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What are you going to do with the bodywork? Originally it would have looked like this.

View attachment 108702
I know exactly what I'm going to do with bodywork
messaging.jpeg

I got these fairings used for £40 from a guy in Leicester. Sanded them down and painted them black
20200901_151549.jpg

20200901_151602.jpg

In terms of what I want the bike to look like when it's done I'm going for the Erion Racing scheme but with a difference

20200916_203807.jpg

That's the plan any way 😉

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting colour scheme.

Might need some 'Ninja' decals to complete the look!:ROFLMAO:(y)
In a world where boys want to be girls and girls want to be boys I don't see anything wrong with my Blade wanting to be a Kawasaki Ninja 😂😂

Jokes aside I was chuffed to bits when I found that picture. Black and green are my favourite colour combination on a bike. Don't worry though.....people will be able to tell it's not a Kawasaki as my leathers, helmet, boots and gloves won't be green and black 😉

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
In a world where boys want to be girls and girls want to be boys I don't see anything wrong with my Blade wanting to be a Kawasaki Ninja 😂😂 . . .
Yes, fair call.

Reminds me to check if Caitlin Jenner is 'following' me on Instagram! :love: (y)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new rear shock arrived at work today
20201005_170429.jpg

20201006_081348.jpg

It is a brand spankings YSS unit. The original Showa rear shock is present on the bike but is totally knackered. The cost of the YSS vs the cost of refurbing the Showa made it a no brainer for me. The YSS unit is non adjustable which is the only downer. Ill be keeping hold of the Showa unit all the same. Spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter and fork seals should land tomorrow👍👍

I am after some different opinions or ideas on the tail light/brake unit light on the tail unit.
20201006_193016.jpg

Previous owner has obviously fitted a rain light. Of the 2 mechanics at work one has suggested installing a couple of LEDS to serve as tail/brake light, the other suggests a BMW nineRT tail light unit. I want to cut the tail unit to the shape of the OE brake light unit. Any suggestion or thoughts???

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
no good me chipping in - I'll say return to original :D.

Your mechanics at work are probably a good resource cos they'll be right up to date with availability and cross-compatibility from other bikes. (y)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All ideas are welcome. I also sit in the cut to standard camp. The bike is never going to minter but I still want it to look as clean and as close to a factory fit as is possible if that makes sense.

A pal of mine has gifted me a fuel tank for the bike. It's off a 98 model so is a direct swap and its black so will match the rest of the bike. It's a bit rough and could do with some filler in places but it means I don't have to paint over the original tank 👍👍

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Can't go wrong with that! Always good to accumulate bits and bobs for our bikes. It's the ole, 'You'll never know when you might need it,' syndrome.

Perhaps why I'm a candidate for the 'UK's Greatest Hoarders' TV special!! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why can I never find a bike at these prices over here! I have a '98 W in original Black and since 2000 have wanted another (or more) as a spares back up whatever. But?
Anyway!
I'm confused? Original photo shows custom painted original looking plastics (especially Seat/Tail unit) with original looking rear light!
Replacement plastics are obviously not OEM or even OEM style/fit?
So where has the problem come from with the rear light stuff, it's all in the original photo?
There used to be a mob that did LED replica rear lights with "Turn Signals" (indicators) incorporated. Might only be legal in USofA, distance from centre regulation?
? Are gold wheels original paintwork?
Which raises question do you match the tank colour to what it looked like originally or the wheel colour?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why can I never find a bike at these prices over here! I have a '98 W in original Black and since 2000 have wanted another (or more) as a spares back up whatever. But?
Anyway!
I'm confused? Original photo shows custom painted original looking plastics (especially Seat/Tail unit) with original looking rear light!
Replacement plastics are obviously not OEM or even OEM style/fit?
So where has the problem come from with the rear light stuff, it's all in the original photo?
There used to be a mob that did LED replica rear lights with "Turn Signals" (indicators) incorporated. Might only be legal in USofA, distance from centre regulation?
? Are gold wheels original paintwork?
Which raises question do you match the tank colour to what it looked like originally or the wheel colour?
I'm very very lucky as I work at a used bike dealer. We get first option on trade in's worth less than 1k but we very rarely get trade in's at that price anymore. The last one was a ropey 2003 FZ6 that we've still got. Had it 3 months now.....nobody wants it 😂😂 I got beaten to the punch on a mint GSXR600 SRAD for £800 in 2019 so when this turned up I wasn't going to miss out.

The issue with the tail light is that the 1 piece tail.unit has no cut out for the rear light. See the above photo of the tail unit.

I've matched the paint scheme of the bike to V5, which says red and to the paint code sticker on the chassis. Not sure if gold wheels are original paint or not. Wheels will be getting powder coated black anyway 👍👍

·
Registered
21 Posts
Please excuse for hindsight, but there aint no headlight fittings either?
Surely they're a set of race or track day plastics? Hence the "Rain Light" fitting?
Gold only looked good if the rest of the bike is right, the Single sided swing arm Mick Grant special? Assume your striping them back to bear metal first?
A mate had his GSXR600 SRAD stolen from his garage! He reported it stolen but still got 2 speeding tickets in the next 2 months with pictures from the same motorway toll! Never recovered!
For some reason CBR900RR W-X in basket case condition sell at auction for more than you can buy them in a dealers with Roadworthy (MOT) and warranty!!! Over here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They are race fairings but the bike is going to be used on the road under a daytime MOT and a brake light is compulsory. Hence the conundrum.

The wheels are going to a company a pal recommended to me. He buys and sells a few bikes and swears blind it top quality work. Guess we will see. Not a fan of gold wheels on a motorbike. Each to their own I suppose 👍👍

Bike pricing is a funny thing. As I said, I'm super lucky I got mine for the price I did

Under the watchful eye and guidance of one of the mechanics at work i got the tank and air filter off so as to change the spark plugs and while I was down there I changed the fuel filter too. I'm not really that good on the tools but it was good to learn how the bike is put together and where stuff is located.
20201009_082558.jpg

Tomorrow it's oil and filter change as well as installing the new rear shock

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Good going!

The rear shock might be a challenge. Something you really need access to good garage facilities. You're on a good deal in that regard!! (y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like the idea of a day time only MOT!!! Would find some sort of LED Front riding light to get the attention of the mobile Armco out there to avoid some SMIDSYS!
Some US/Chinese LED "Turn Signal" units can be wired as White Riding/Running lights as well as yellow indicators!
Sorry to let you know! You do not need to take Air filter box off to change the plugs! Or the fuel tank! Only the fairing side panels!
However the best Spark plug Spanner is the one from the bikes toolkit!! With the 10mm ring spanner from the toolkit! 3 plugs from the left one from the right! Easy Peasy!
Assume air filter is now a cleanable unit e.g. K&N or other of that type?
Notice a "Black Box" zipped to the frame ??? Make sure all it's wires are secure and not chaffing, as the one at the back can be seen to have done to the coil and its mount screw!
With the rear shock. A suitable round, about 20mm (3/4") steel tube (bar is a tad heavy) or strong wooden broom stick (risky) can be passed through the frame just behind the fairing mounts and supported on "Axle Stands" unless you have access to a fancy frame/chassis paddock stand! I have 2 "T" shaped square section steel tubes with a hole at the right height so they will fit on a bike bench (and be bolted/clamped in place). It just happens that this the fore and aft CofG of the bike! Front wheel out and it sits on the rear, Rear wheel out and it sits on the front! Makes life really easy! Exact dimensions available on request.
The rear wheel will be off the ground, chock/shim it so it is just supported or if wheel is out, put axle back in and support with a bottle or scissor jack. Jack is better, as you can adjust it when putting new shock in as it won't be Exactly the same length.
Moly Slip or water proof grease on everything. I've had the bottom snap off an Ohlins even though it was lubed! The rose eye corroded, even here with daily use!
Hey! This is going quicker than Ian's "Track Ride"!
Just remembered but! Winter is coming! (For You) 30 plus here yesterday, 5 up on normal!
QLD, beautiful one day! Perfect the next! (I'm biased although Kent weren't bad!!!???)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We've been scratching our heads about the little black box. Possibly part of the alarm system or it could be a tracker system installed by a previous owner.

I'm with you on the front LEDS. Always helps to be seen. When I did my CBT the guy running proudly stated that he drives everywhere with his full beam on day or night. When I questioned him he simply said that other people will see him 😂😂

Winter in the UK blows 😂😂😂

1 - 20 of 30 Posts