Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 01 cbr 929 and i just replaced the rear tire on it and now i hear kinda like a whining sound from the chain area. im thinking the chain is on to tight and there is not much slack in it. i was wondering what i should have the chain set to as far as slack.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I generally try to keep mine to a little under an inch. Almost a full inch, not quite.... About 7/8th of an inch

About 25mm in metric I'd say. This is what I have always kept it at on my dirtbikes and ATVs, much more than this and the chain slaps against the guides

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
i have a 01 cbr 929 and i just replaced the rear tire on it and now i hear kinda like a whining sound from the chain area. im thinking the chain is on to tight and there is not much slack in it. i was wondering what i should have the chain set to as far as slack.
Unless you moved the axle adjusters (which is not necessary to change a tyre) the chain tension shouldn't have changed in any way at all. Neither should the wheel alignment unless you put in the axle spacers or adjuster blocks incorrectly.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
also make sure that both adjusters are in the same position a mm off can cause noise and trouble already .. i missed it once and was just too dumb to find it lol ...
And to check this you measure from the centre of the axle to the centre of the swingarm pivot on each side of the bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I generally try to keep mine to a little under an inch. Almost a full inch, not quite.... About 7/8th of an inch

About 25mm in metric I'd say. This is what I have always kept it at on my dirtbikes and ATVs, much more than this and the chain slaps against the guides
You only run an inch of slack on a DIRTBIKE? They need way more slack than that... like, double. You should make sure that your suspension can travel through it's full range of motion without the chain stopping it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
30-40mm at the center point off the chain between the front and rear sprocket. I set mine at 35mm. Check the slack with the bike on the sidestand. The chain may be tighter in some sections than others so check it in a few different spots. A chain a little on the loose side is always better than a tight one. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts