Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed when replacing my pads this winter that the bottom piston in both front calipers were seized. They were both pretty much completely pressed in. I took the calipers apart and cleaned out all the gunk and fixed the pistons. I put in my new pads, bleed the brakes, and put my old rotors back on. I measured the rotors and found they are in tolerance, but honestly not by much. I only measured one spot though assuming they were not warped because the bike did not make any vibration or pulsating before I changed the pads.

Now at any high speed braking there is violent pulsating in my front brakes. At low speeds it only happens when I put a good amount of pressure on the brakes for a quick stop. At very low speeds there is no pulsating when stopping. No matter when it happens I do NOT feel it in my brake lever. I was under the assumption that if the rotors were warped I would feel it in my lever.

Could air bubbles in my fluid cause this? I bleed them, but maybe not good enough. Could the seized pistons have caused uneven wear of my rotors from last season, and now that I have both pistons pressing on the pads this is the problem? Any input is apprecaited.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My suggestion would be to pull out the pads and give the rotors and pads a spray of brake cleaner and then run the pads across some sandpaper in a figure eight motion to level out the surface.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think the problem is dirty rotors? The pads are only a day old so the level can't be that bad, but I'll def check it out. I wiped the rotors down, but didn't hit them with brake cleaner on install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you remove the wheels I assume you did if so it will almost certainly be fork alignment. Undo the bolts that clamp the axle, apply breaks' pump forks hard' get a mate to tighten axle bolts check alignment... job done

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you remove the wheels I assume you did if so it will almost certainly be fork alignment. Undo the bolts that clamp the axle, apply breaks' pump forks hard' get a mate to tighten axle bolts check alignment... job done
Alright so all I have to do is loose and the pinch bolts, apply the brakes hard, and then tighten the axle bolt more? Do I loosen the axle bolt first or leave it tight and just tighten it down more? I did take the wheel off and this time I didn't have it raised enough so I had to jack one fork up, put in the axle then jack the other side and continue to slide the axle through. I just figured once the axle was all the way in the works would self adjust. How do I check fork alignment?

Appreciate the help. My comprehension is a lil off had some drinks tonight, but would love to tackle this in the AM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts