Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1999 honda cbr 900rr when i got my bike out this year it wouldnt stay running the bike would just quit after about 15min i found a melted spot on my rear plastics and i took off seat and there is a plastic sensor on rear subframe and the metal is very hot around that. I bought a new battery and i went for a ride and as i rode the bike started loosing power and then just quit i really got like 5 diffrent jump starts from people and finally just got home. Q: What is that sensor if your on bike it would be on right side on outside of metal bracket hidden behide rear plastics right under seat and could that be my whole problem

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
1999 honda cbr 900rr when i got my bike out this year it wouldnt stay running the bike would just quit after about 15min i found a melted spot on my rear plastics and i took off seat and there is a plastic sensor on rear subframe and the metal is very hot around that. I bought a new battery and i went for a ride and as i rode the bike started loosing power and then just quit i really got like 5 diffrent jump starts from people and finally just got home. Q: What is that sensor if your on bike it would be on right side on outside of metal bracket hidden behide rear plastics right under seat and could that be my whole problem

Do you mean the regulator perhaps?
Do the tests of the charging system to determine if the regulator or stator has failed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Regulator rectifier is most likely bad. Charge the battery to full. start the bike, get it to normal operating temp. turn the high beams on. connect a voltmeter to the battery. Rev it to 5,000 rpms and hold it steady. You should get AT LEAST 13 volts. No higher than 15.5 volts. If you are under or over that range, then the rectifier is bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts