Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my name is Jake and I love honda. That doesnt mean I know everything about them just that I want to. ha I own an s2000 that I love driving with the top down, but It just seems like the next level of freedom is a bike. I am interested in becoming a bike owner but haven't figured out how to go about doing it yet.

A. find a slightly wrecked bike to fix up and wrench on so that I can learn?
or
B. find a normal bike and learn along the way?

Even then what kind of bike do I need to start out on? Cbr600rr? or would a 599 be better? I feel like I am a responsible person so I don't think a little extra power would be a bad thing for me (???) These are some of the things I have been thinking about so feel free to voice your opinion. Thats why Im here.:D

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
:welcome:

From my experience I would say it's better to go with a working bike in the first place. Fixing bikes up can cost a lot of money and takes a lot of time.

I would say go for a CBR600F or a Hornet (CB600).

·
Registered
237 Posts

Jump on your local forums and see what you can find in addition to what you can find here. Fireblades is predominantly a liter bike forum so there are alot of larger CC bikes here. be smart and ride your own ride!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks! I have heard that working on bikes can get expensive very quick if there is much to fix. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
:hi:

I'd look at buying a salvage bike (or maybe just one which has been laid down - not sure what rules there are over there) and re-building it.

Beware though, don't want to go buying something with too heavy damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have accually had people tell me to go out and start on a 1000cc but I'm guessing a Motard bike is like an enduro?? Just a more street version?

Yeah by getting a wrecked bike I was thinking one with a dented tank, broken foot pegs, minor stuff ya know. I cant get to far over my head.

·
Registered
26 Posts

that sound's like u have a good plan start of small with little to do up, and yes an f4i is a cbr600 f4i, it's all you will need in a bike and you can pick up all the part's fairly easy..!!:thumb: I have a cbr600 f3 '95 and it's fast and go for long hall's too. Bset of luck anyhoow...!!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I have accually had people tell me to go out and start on a 1000cc but I'm guessing a Motard bike is like an enduro?? Just a more street version?

Yeah by getting a wrecked bike I was thinking one with a dented tank, broken foot pegs, minor stuff ya know. I cant get to far over my head.
Ignore the ones telling you to jump on a 1000CC bike. Yeah they might be here to tell the tail, but if you were to start off on a 600 and work your way up onto a 1000 later in life you'll be a much better rider (and probably there to tell the tale).

Yup that sounds ok, any work you'll do will help you gain experience and confidence to solve problems (or add modifications) when you ride her. As soon as you've bought the bike, the next thing I want you to do is buy a Haynes manual (In regards to you already having purchased the correct gear) and do the MSF course.

Over here youngsters are made to do a CBT course which enables them to ride a 50CC Motorbike/Moped or a 125CC motorbike/moped (you have to be 17 to do the 125). They are then allowed to do their test and if sucessful are then limited to another two years on a bike which has 33BHP or under (you can get restrictor kits for bigger bikes).

IMO all riders should start this way, and car drivers themselves should by law have to do a form of CBT (bearing in mind some can't ride bicycles so something would have to be thought up for them).

Btw what year/colour is your S2000? Any pics for me to drool over? :evilaugh:

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Yes the CBR600F is the same as an F4i - the "4i" refers to the particular model of CBR600F.

This is a CB600 Hornet, I guess it is the same as a 599 but I'm not familiar with that name....

Honda CB600F - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yup,

It's the same with the Honda CB900F (new shape). They're called a range of names such as the 919 (as they had the same engine with a few minor tweaks as the 918 Fireblade), the Hornet (theres also a 250 Hornet which is exactly the same as the 600 Hornet apart from having a smaller engine) and a few random ones such as the CB900F/CB919F/CB900f-1/2/3/4/5* etc.

* These numbers represent the year in which the Hornet 900 was manufactured - not sure if they're still making them but the design of the 919 hasn't changed. The 600 Hornet has had a face lift.

·
Registered
582 Posts
People where putting me off, getting a blade as my first bike. It had been some 20 years since i had been in the saddle. I did my CBT and a direct access course and felt quite comfortable getting in the saddle.

Get a bike you like or want, the bike will only go as fast as you make it go.
Get some training as soon as you can.
Think that ALL other drivers or riders are stupid.

Stay safe.

I have cover a few thousand mile in the last few month which in no way makes me a good rider, but it all help.

Never under-estimate the power of any bike you buy, its going to be fast. A baby blade is going to do 0-60 in like under 3 seconds.
Someones going to correct me now.

JUST BE CAREFULL

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
People where putting me off, getting a blade as my first bike. It had been some 20 years since i had been in the saddle. I did my CBT and a direct access course and felt quite comfortable getting in the saddle.

Get a bike you like or want, the bike will only go as fast as you make it go.
Get some training as soon as you can.
Think that ALL other drivers or riders are stupid.
Wise words, just a small edit if I may :rolleyes: ... ALL other drivers ARE stupid AND they are out there to kill you. With that thought in mind, your set to ride :thumb:

Never under-estimate the power of any bike you buy, its going to be fast. A baby blade is going to do 0-60 in like under 3 seconds.
Someones going to correct me now.
Depending on the rider :evilaugh:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Points taken mate, but some mad sod under took me the other day, same lane, south bound on the A1 south of buckden going through sweeping S bend. There was no need for it as we where entering a 50 limit !
All i'm saying is just watch everything all the time and expect people to do what you don't expect them to do.

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
:welcome:snizz2k:thumb:

Points taken mate, but some mad sod under took me the other day, same lane, south bound on the A1 south of buckden going through sweeping S bend. There was no need for it as we where entering a 50 limit !
All i'm saying is just watch everything all the time and expect people to do what you don't expect them to do.
I would of chased the [email protected] and given him a good shoein if he undertook me ANYWHERE let a lone on a 'S' bend:rant::nono::bonk:

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Glad you made it out ok,

They all think they are Schumachers who have more than nine lives to play with. I would say let them act how they want and not get involved, but its those idiots who cause OUR insurance premiums to go up and they themselves could cost someone else their life.

·
Registered
582 Posts
No road rage here mate, but it was a mad move as he came passed me like a bat out of hell, well over the ton mark.
That's the only reason i say watch everyone, i saw him coming but the traffic to my left, i couldn't go anywhere.
But mostly bikers are semi sensible, i just love the rush when its safe......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts