Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple weeks ago me and the woman went out and bought a new computer, 2.8ghz P4, 800mhz bus, 1gb of PC3200 DDR, Radeon 9200 vid card etc etc.... well, it came with a 120gb hard drive, and i took the 80 gig out of my old puter and stuck it in here as a slave, so i wouldnt have to bother with transferring files, i've got a LOT of videos and music. anyhoo, i get America's Army downloaded and put on here, and a couple other games installed, and all of a sudden a window pops up telling me i'm out of disk space, i look, and the 120 gig hard drive in here is partitioned, into EISA, C:, and D:...... one problem, the C: partition is only 13 gigs..... and its full. is there ANY way i can enlarge my C: partition without having to wipe my drive and start over? this machine didnt come with a recovery disk of any sort, i guess the EISA partition contains all the recovery info? and if something does take a dump, and i have to reformat, what happens to the EISA partition?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would recommend you leave the C: drive the size it is. Uninstall the games and move the movies and music to the D: drive. Reinstall the games and programs, but change the install directory to d:\program files\whatever.

This way you don't change the drive partitions and the games and data are stored on a different partition from your system. Problem is that most people take the defaults on the installation and it wants to go to c: As you can see, this doesn't work for long with the size of programs around nowadays.

If you really have to change the size of the c: partition, use Partition Magic. Whatever the latest version is. Remember though, there is a chance you can really pooch the system doing this.

Keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see.... same thing another person told me..... but all my movies and music are on the hard drive i put in, which is E: .. the 13 gigs that are filled up are all programs. i tried moving one of my games to the D: drive, into a program files folder, and it wouldnt accept it, i even went as far as to uninstall it, then tried re-installing it to D:\program files, and it wouldnt even start installing.

original hard drive EISA*C:*D:*
old hard drive E:

i have partition magic, just sniffing out all my options before i revert to it. but my main concern is the EISA..... if something happens, and i need to reload windows, if the hard drive is screwed up..... im up sh1t creek without a paddle, right?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't touch the EISA partition when repartitioning. Resize the D: Drive first, then reboot. If it comes up fine, go in and increase the size of the c: partition. If you are using XP, get the latest version of Partition Magic. Trying to resize the newer OS with an older PM is looking for problems. I know, everyone will say that they did it without any trouble. I have done a lot of PCs without any problems whatsoever. I also pooched a laptop for a client one time, doing everything right. so it does happen.

Good luck with it.

Keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keith_929 said:
Don't touch the EISA partition when repartitioning. Resize the D: Drive first, then reboot. If it comes up fine, go in and increase the size of the c: partition. If you are using XP, get the latest version of Partition Magic. Trying to resize the newer OS with an older PM is looking for problems. I know, everyone will say that they did it without any trouble. I have done a lot of PCs without any problems whatsoever. I also pooched a laptop for a client one time, doing everything right. so it does happen.

Good luck with it.

Keith
i forgot all about this, i used PM 8.0, worked like a charm, now i have a 40 gb C: and a 70 gb D:, although, the 90 min it took to resize them was the longest 90 min of my life :smilebig:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts