Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Zealand inventor Alan Gibbs has come up with what could turn out to be the dream big boy’s toy of the decade.

Quad bikes are great fun on the beach but just imagine if your quad bike could transform into a jet ski at the press of a button and allow you to take your fun off the sand and into the water! I know I am frothing at the mouth about the concept and reckon WA baby boomers and teenagers alike will be running to the bank manager for a loan if the machine makes it to the retail market.

The user simply drives the Quadski into the water and at the press of a button the wheels retract into the body of the machine and disconnect themselves from the steering system. In less than five seconds the 107 Kw (140hp) petrol engine changes from driving the wheels to instead drive an impeller and stator blades while the steering system is employed to direct the nozzle jet for changes of direction. The prototype uses a four-cylinder Yamaha jet-ski engine for its power source.

The machines speed on land is a reasonable 72kp. It can also reach that mark on water which is what makes this machine so impressive. The surf lifesaving attributes of this machine alone should ensure its success.

A large 60 litre fuel tank is enough to keep the machine going for two hours on water or up to 600 kilometres on land.

The inventor’s company, Gibbs Technologies, has taken out over sixty patents over its amphibious engineering projects and two prototype machines will do the rounds of the show circuit over the coming months while the company is in discussions with large companies who wish to licence the product for mass production.
Wow

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
140 horse and it can only do 72kph? That doesn't add up. :huh:
The thing has got to be really heavy!! Look at how freaking wide it is. I think I'd rather have a fast jet-ski, and a fast-quad, not a slow combo... Just my 2.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
ihatecrashing said:
The thing has got to be really heavy!! Look at how freaking wide it is. I think I'd rather have a fast jet-ski, and a fast-quad, not a slow combo... Just my 2.
And it would still probably be cheaper. :D

Bet that mother weighs 1500 pounds.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Good thing it's so wide, if you rolled that mo-fo it would take a wrecker to get it off you!!!

Probably would be cheaper... mmmm, mods!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Purpdust said:
Now you have to buy Skis with Roller Skate wheels :clap: Call them WaterBlades

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Then we can tow each other behind cars and practice slalom skiing all season long! What other sports can we mix :huh:

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Those rollerskis already exist. Both in downhill and cross-country forms.
Maybe not waterskis, but they are around.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I have no words for how friggin James Bond Cool that is...

If I had the bucks, I'd own one. I've seen waaaay more useless "things" out at the Oceana Dunes.

I like this off their site:

“I know consumers will love the fun of driving a Quadski on land one minute and then head straight into the sea or river the next. But there is a very serious side to Quadski as well: emergency services and aid workers will be able to reach areas and people no two or four wheel drive vehicle could reach.”

But do they have TOYS!:

http://www.gibbstech.co.uk/humdinga.php

http://www.gibbstech.co.uk/aquada.php

1 - 14 of 14 Posts