Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Chain adjustment vid - Online

A quick question that you could maybe help me with.
I have a 2000 929,& when I purchased it (with 1000miles on it) the chain ran on the inside of the rear sprocket. No matter how I adjust it, I could not get the chain to run properly centred on the rear sprocket.
I have now change to a 520 -1+2 & still have the same problem.
when I talked to the dealer they said this is normal but it doesnt seem right to me.
Any suggestions?
Daryl

·
Registered
461 Posts
HUH? I maybe the only one confused by this description, but.... Pics would help.
:ttiwwp:

:D

·
Registered
847 Posts
Can you post a picture of this? Sounds like the rear sprocket is for a larger chain. Maybe a 520 chain with a sprocket made for a 530? 530 is the OEM size for a 929 btw.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda of tough to see in a pic but I will try & get a clear pic tonight
If you are standing behind the bike & looking at the chain the right, inside of the chain is rubbing on the sprocket.
Any info that I have heard or seen is the chain should be perfectly centred on the sprocket.
I am using the proper sprocket.
Daryl

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Hmm, sounds like a spacing issue with the front sprocket. The stocker has the rubber spacer built onto it, if you are using an aftermarket front sprocket, could it be on wrong...? Spacer missing...?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
No spacers in aftermarket ones are ok. Is the rear sprocket on correctly? Are you getting excessive wear on the side of the sprocket?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Spacers or a bent swingarm.... :twocents:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
or the center line is not true.
If the chain is rubbing the inside of the rear sprocket (like it's trying to fly off to the outside), the rear tire center line might be going to the right of true in regards to the front tire. Try adjusting the right side adjuster so the axil moves forward on the right (brake disc side). Also, look down the chain from back to front. You will be able to see any misalignment.
REMEMBER, THE MARKS ON THE SWING ARM DO NOT ALWAYS LINE UP FROM LEFT TO RIGHT. So don't go be that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, you have been a big help.:thumb:
I always figured that the marks on the side of the swing arm were accurate.
All of the spacers are there & the sprockets are on correctly.
The swing arm is not bent.
The wear on the inside of the sprocket is not "excessive" but there is however signs of wear.
I will recheck tonight & let you know what I find.
Daryl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts