Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the service manual for my 954 it says that when you remove the front calipers you should replace the mounting bolts when you reinstall the front
brake calipers. The bolts that come out seem to have a type of locktite
on them and I am wondering if replacing those bolts is really necessary? Is cleaning up the bolts and reusing them with locktite acceptable?
If you buy the bolts from honda do they come with their locktite type stuff
already on the bolt?

·
Registered
236 Posts
i dont understand why they would want you to replace them except to make u spend $$$.
yeah just reapply some loctite on em and do em up again
shouldnt be any probs

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've NEVER replaced them on any of my bikes and have never had a problem... I don't even use lock tite on them... I do regularly check the torque on important bolts and stuff though (have never found these to even start to loosen)...

- BA

·
Registered
723 Posts
They're like GM engine bolts; Torque-To-Yield.

The main reason is that loctite is only good up to 300 degrees; whereas your brakes will reach ~400-500 under extreme use... more than enough to negate the loctite.

Saying that: I use Blue loctite on mine... and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I reused mine a couple of times but at one point, tightening and loosening the bolt damaged the head of the bolt so verry little but it started to rust. They go for 2$ for a better grade :idunno:

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I've done both. I usually use the same set for several tire changes (using blue Loctite) than replace them with a new set. I think they are torque-to-yield bolts as I have noticed some slight stretch when re-torquing the used ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts