Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These questions may be premature, but I'm just looking for info/advice (way) in advance. Does anyone know what the cost/procedures are for shipping a motorcycle from the U.S. to Australia? Is it cost prohibitive? Is a U.S. bike not "road worthy", i.e., not up to Australian specs? Am I better off just buying a bike in Australia? Do any of you Aussie's, or Americans working there, have any input? I plan to call the local stealership this Monday and probe their brains also.

TIA! :thumb:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Bacchus said:
These questions may be premature, but I'm just looking for info/advice (way) in advance. Does anyone know what the cost/procedures are for shipping a motorcycle from the U.S. to Australia? Is it cost prohibitive? Is a U.S. bike not "road worthy", i.e., not up to Australian specs? Am I better off just buying a bike in Australia? Do any of you Aussie's, or Americans working there, have any input? I plan to call the local stealership this Monday and probe their brains also.

Upgrade to the Blue Aussie 1000RR :eyebrows:

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Bacchus said:
Are you daft?!?! My ex-girlfriend and I went our separate ways when we sold our house last September. We're still good friends though... ;)
I guess I am :idunno: Not sure what I was thinking, I just seem to recall that you went there with someone, for whatever reason. :idunno:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Hey Bacchus. Good question. :thumb: I'm trying to do a cost analysis on the same thing... Trying to find out how much it will cost to ship a container from here to there. Am I going to lose more in shipping or in the cost of selling/buying? hmmmm...

Costs...
Shipping
Taxes/Duty
Safety/Certification
Licensing (do you pay extra for imports?)

Anyone have numbers?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Bacchus said:

I'll check up on Tuesday for ya Baccy. As you would undoubtedly know being an apiring Aussie, Monday is ANZAC day and so everything government is closed. I believe that you can bring a vehicle in from overseas and it would probably be easier to bring a model that is actually sold here. It will need to be compliance plated (passed by vehicle inspectors and given a little plate) but all bikes need that as we don't make them here. There may also be some GST or import excise but since the bike is a couple of years old that may not be an issue.

I just found this
I'll get back with more (if there is any) on Tuesday.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I wouldn't bother Bacchy
By the time you pay for all the shipping taxes registration etc etc. I t's probably easier and cheaper to sell it over there and buy another one over here with the conversion rate.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Prolly not worth it. Sell it and upgrade when you get here. It is seemingly expensive but will prolly turn out cheaper once you pay for shipping, damage in transit (inevitable), compliancing etc.

Redwing in Heidleberg has a Repsol still sitting on their floor :thumb:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I looked into it a bit Bacchus when I moved here. I didn't look into the reg process but in my situation there wouldn't have been any GST (a killer) and the shipping cost in a crate from LA would have been about $600, not bad at all. I would do some research like you said vehicles here are way more expensive then the US.

Looking back I should have brought it, I sold it and I have a storage unit in LA full of all my other stuff... I had to move fast and didn't have much time to think, plus all my expenses are paid for by work which things easier for me.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'd have to agree with our Aussie friends. For the all the hassle, damage and cost, it'll be better, cheaper and less hectic to sell your bike and buy a new one in AussieLand. (maybe even a Suzie) :evilaugh: ;)

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies all! And thanks for that link RP - I've yet to read the entire thing, but will. Hmm, seems like we have varying opinions here. Well, I have PLENTY of time to research it further...

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Bacchus said:
I have PLENTY of time to research it further...
This begs the question: what exactly is your timetable? Apologies if it's in the other thread, I didn't see it.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
4-6 months isn't bad. :thumb: I know it seems like a long time to wait but it all adds up when you're trying to get your affairs in order on this side of the pond.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts