Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain the origin and meaning of the Scooby nickname?

Also, does it refer to any WRX or just some versions?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I'm not certain what it stands for. I'd guess, though, that it stands for something like World Rally X (cross). The car line was purpose-built by Subaru for the WRC effort, and has been around since the early 90s. It refers to any WRX (as opposed to the Impreza, the Impreza RS).

The full model name is Subaru Impreza WRX. There's also of course the Subaru Impreza WRX STi, which is the yet-higher performance version of the WRX, simply known as the 'STi' for short.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Yeah, I think I answered the wrong question

Scooby refers to any Subaru. It's easier and friendlier to say than Subaru, so...

...just like using Kawi, Yammi, Zuk, Z, Rex, etc

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Scooby Doo = Subaroo

It's London Cockney rhyming slang.
riginated with British Navy, first recorded in 1720 when the fleet arrived in Tokyo Bay. Little known fact is that Subaru (originally called teh Scubaru comapny and pronounced shoobaroo by the locals) started life as a boat making company and the locals paddled out in their craft to sell their wares to the sailors. Boats were christened Scooby Doos by the sailors and the name stuck.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Not only is it politically incorect, it is complete bollocks.

The 'scooby' bit does come from rhyming slang scooby doo = Subaru.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Skully : The new WRX is sweeeet!  I wish I had the cash.
Yeah...I wish my wife would buy one so that I could do some track days with it....but she wants an Audi TT instead...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Although it does indeed look like a girl's car....I doubt she'd go for it......tough driving to work in the rain....

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
My buddy's neighbor commutes in one of those every day.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Quote Although it does indeed look like a girl's car Tosser. Called the R300 cus it's got 300bhp/ton. If you don't like it then get an R500 and destroy ANY opposition on the track.

Tossers all of you. This side of the pond the TT is drifting into the 'a hairdresser's car' territory. Sad really cus they are decent cars. Very poor reputation for reliability though.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Proto : Tossers all of you. This side of the pond the TT is drifting into the 'a hairdresser's car' territory.
News flash....it has always been a hairdresser's car on this side.....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts