Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 954 doesn't hold a line for jack. In a turn, you can't make minor adjustments to your lean angle. It feels like the bike either wants to fall over or stand upstraight. Does anyone know what I mean? Is it the quick turning response from how the bike was designed or is it these dam Pilot Sports. If it is then I hate these tires. They give no rider confidence what so ever. Both my other bikes had Dunlops and when you leaned into a turn it felt like you were locked onto rails. Anyone who tossed the OEM Pilots have better handling experience with your new tires? If so, which ones? I mainly want use them on the street...they should inspire confidence and warms up quickly. Basically all the Pilots are not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
IMHO, Pilots suck. No confidence is right.

BT010s , BT012s , Diablos, and Sportecs are very highly regarded here. I'm riding on Avon 45/46s now

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I found an incredible amount of difference in leaning and turning when I switched from the Pilots to Pirelli Diablo Corsas. They seem to 'roll' over intuitively, and they are incredibly sticky around the corners. A little expensive, but worth it. They're probably a lot more tire than I need for mostly aggressive canyon carving and occasional track use, but I'd rather have too much grip than too little.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Each tire is going to behave differently based upon their profile (also if you running a 180/190). Saying that I do not like the Pilots for the street based upon the warm up time.

For the street, you can't beat the 010's. Cheap, warm up fast and decent mileage.

·
Registered
236 Posts
IMO Pilots are the worst of the lot. Tried Pilots, 207RR's, 207GP's and Diablo's (street) and I find the diablo's the best for street riding. I also run a 180 rear. Very stable and grippy. I've seen too many people bin it on 'slipstone's' so I haven't bothered trying them, but they might be ok....

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Pilots... they're great for a warm climate... but I think the problem sounds like you have squared off your tires.

When you look at them from behind, do you notice a noticeable flat spot across the center? Do you have much less treaddepth in the center than on the sides? I'd say you've hit too many straight lines...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
2OHOH2954 : IMHO, Pilots suck. No confidence is right.

BT010s , BT012s , Diablos, and Sportecs are very highly regarded here.
Amen. El SUCKO!

I bought the BT010's for the blade when I got my second set of tires. Really liked them a lot.

I had them on my VFR before that and on the Duc now. Not a worry, they take the abuse (and for a loooooong time).

I may go to the Diablo's next just to check it out but I think you'll find any of the sporting BT's to your liking.

Pilot Sports S*U*C*K!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm still on the pilots, & I dont like them. They are sweet if the pavement temp is about 130 degrees. I think I'm switching to the diablos.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The Diablos, Sportecs - and 010s to a lesser degree, are good tires to protect your rims with. I have a set of Diablos on my 929 right now with a bit over 6K on them and the rear hasn't squared off, and the front is not cupping at all, like the 010 front like to do. The Diablos seem to calm the 929 handling without making it steer heavy. The Sportecs make the 929 feel very light on its 'feet', but the bike never gets out of shape. Either the Sportecs or Diablos with a 180/55 rear.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
he never did mention the mileage on his current tires, which can be a MAJOR factor with his ill handling machine.

·
Registered
705 Posts
How about your suspension setup? That has a LOT to do with the way your bike handles. If you have the stock front springs and weigh over 170-180, you'll never get the sag set right. Do you have a steering damper and has your bike had the steering stem bearing recall done? When I first got my 02 '54 it scared the crap out of me the first time I got caught behind a semi in traffic on the highway, it wandered all over the place, I thought I was getting a flat or something. After a little suspension setup and a damper it calmed down a lot. The pilots never were too confidence inspiring though, I had a few rear slides when I thought the tire should have been warm. I've been on Sportecs since and have no complaints. Might try the Diablos next for and giggles!

·
Registered
768 Posts
There is no big difference in the profile between Pilot Sports and BT010s. They both handle pretty much the same. The BT010's are cheaper, better cold traction, and more predictable when sliding.

If a rider has binned it on 'slipstones', they were just clumsy. It is true that great tires can mask sloppy riding technique, so if you want or need that 'extra' protection from yourself, that is fine. Get something stickier. But at least realize that it is not the tire, but you that is at fault (unless you have touring tires or Pilot Sports).

I'm still running BT010's at the track after more than 20 track days now, and I still don't need a stickier tire yet. I get faster every time I go. I should be able easily to get within 10 seconds of the all time bike lap record before I need something stickier. 4 more seconds to go before I am there. Oh yeah, still haven't crashed on my 'slipstones'. (Knock on my wooden head.)

Most guys that run slower than me run stickier tires than mine. These guys with stickier tires crash constantly. By itself, it does not keep them from crashing. It is up to you not to crash, not your tires.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Definitely sort out your suspension then get new tires. I like the Sportecs for the street, I have them on my VFR. I haven't tried the Pirelli Diablos but hear lots of good things from folks here. Don't waste your $$ on Diablo Corsas as they're built more for track days and are more expensive than the Diablos.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Toss them! I hated the stock 190 pilots.....cold grip worse than a race tire! My 54 didn't agree w/ them either...front end chatter and not easy to dive into corners. Bought a set of BT012ss (180 rear) and the difference was amazing! Much more stable and those tires have great cold grip. Cheap too. I've seen them for 180$ a set online. I usual get 2000-2500 miles out of them (street riding). For the track you can't be the 208GPA's....AWESOME grip! and wear better than the Perilli/Metz.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for the advice. By the way the tires have only 800 miles on them, so there is no tread wear, tire pressue is ok....and I do have a steering damper and the steering head assembly changed as noted by Honda. I checked the sag and that looks ok, in it's stock form as I weigh 160 lbs. I do think that it's the Pilots that are giving me grief. So the choice now looks like one of the three....BTs, Sportecs, or Diablos.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Stock springs on the front? Jack the front preload ALL the way up!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Roadrash.
I bought a 954 3 weeks ago and like you I don’t have much confidence in the Pilot Sports. I have ridden a 954 with the BT012s that came as standard on some UK bikes and it felt much better.
However, I think the tyres are only part of the problem. The forks are way too soft and the rear is a bit too hard for riders of our weight (I weigh 163lbs). I turned the front preload up 1 ½ turns and turned the rear preload down 1 click. Also, I set the tyre pressures at 33 / 38 and the bike feels much better.

My tyre preferences are Sportecs or Rennsports, depending on what you use the bike for. I haven’t tried them on this bike yet, but my experience with them on other bikes makes me think that you can’t go far wrong with either.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I actually quit elike the pilots, but then, that may have a lot to do with where I live...

Z...

·
Registered
453 Posts
i have had all of the major brands and i now have sportecs and they grip so good that its not even a contest between the others . they have loco stick

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'll pay the shipping if you want to send those crappy Pilot Sports out this way .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts