Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering trading my 01 929 in for a 04 RC-51. Would you guys recommend this for a mainly street bike w/a few track days, or just stick w/the 929. What about ridability? How's the V-twin compare to the in-line 4? I've never riden a V-twin before, but I've always heard good things about them.

Thx for any help/advice you guys can offer.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
fivestar929 said:
I'm considering trading my 01 929 in for a 04 RC-51. Would you guys recommend this for a mainly street bike w/a few track days, or just stick w/the 929. What about ridability? How's the V-twin compare to the in-line 4? I've never riden a V-twin before, but I've always heard good things about them.

the RC51 is more of a track bike than a street bike. It gets lower mileage, has more aggressive ergonomics, a bit less power, a bit more usable torq and a lot better sound. Its not the swiss-army knife of bikes. You will be very pleased with it if you like a bike that handles well.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
fivestar929 said:

Which tracks? What skill level? I personally think a beginner to intermediate rider will be faster on the RC. A better rider will be able to make the 929 do things and take advantage of things that the RC just flat out won't do. At VIR, with the exception of a few liter bikes, a RC51 pretty much has no downsides. At a track like jennings however, the CBR929/954 really shines and the RC's weight really is a hindrance. Both bikes have their strengths and weaknesses. I've had both and ridden both extensively like many here have. You'll get views from both sides.

Figment is right, the RC is compromised for the street. PISS POOR fuel economy and ergos that make you wanna go fast ALL THE TIME. Street character though, no contest... The RC's Twin will just flat out turn heads!

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm actually in the same boat and am seriously considering one as their at "run out prices" over here at the moment.
I'm very keen and know all the shite on how to get them right but.......
If I get an SP-2, does that make me as :gay: as if it was a proper RC?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Thanks guys. I still haven't decided yet, but my dealer may have. I doubt I'll get enough for the 929, so I guess I'll be riding that for another year. :crying:

Maybe next year. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
A year ago I traded in my '01 929 for an '03 RC51. I got $6500 trade value and paid full list for the new bike.

I have used the RC for everything that I used the CBR for. Cruise Daytona, tear up the roads out in the potato fields, lap JenningsGP @ 1:32, and ride from Washington, D.C. to Florida via the Blue Ridge Parkway/ Wood Pecker /Trail.

No Complaints!

·
Registered
433 Posts
So that mean you want the damper now? ;)

Seriously though, let me get the RC back on the road (Ron Ayers should have my last part on its way to me any moment now) and you can take it out for a spin. You just have to drive down to Columbus to do it. :) The '02 and newer RC's will handle a bit different (much better turn-in from what I have been told), but other than that there shouldn't be too much difference.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
there are things I liked about my 929, and things I like about the RC...its really a different world. If your looking for brain smacking the back of you skull fast, go I4. If your looking for sneaky fast...Vtwin! I like the RC because its really smooth in the corners, like a hot knife though butter, and stable as heck. the 929 was a bit twitchy in the corners..didn't have me feeling quite as confident.

·
Registered
263 Posts
showmethebombs said:
there are things I liked about my 929, and things I like about the RC...its really a different world. If your looking for brain smacking the back of you skull fast, go I4. If your looking for sneaky fast...Vtwin! I like the RC because its really smooth in the corners, like a hot knife though butter, and stable as heck. the 929 was a bit twitchy in the corners..didn't have me feeling quite as confident.

I agree exactly! :thumb:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok. Thx again. Went to a dealer tonight, and still kicking around the idea of an 04 Hayden rep.

Hmmm............ desicions, desicions.......................

Besides, the decals and autograph, there's no difference between the 03 and 04 models, right? Is the extra cash worth it for the auto.?

:huh: :idunno:

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
fivestar929 said:
Ok. Thx again. Went to a dealer tonight, and still kicking around the idea of an 04 Hayden rep.

Hmmm............ desicions, desicions.......................

Besides, the decals and autograph, there's no difference between the 03 and 04 models, right? Is the extra cash worth it for the auto.?

:huh: :idunno:
No difference in the 03 and 04. There were significant changes between the 01 and 02 models. Prolly just depends on how much of a Nicky fan you are as to the value of his signature. I got his autograph on mine for free. ;)

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I really doubt the signature on the '04 RC51s are actually signed on the bike by Nicky. They are more likely just a sticker - one that could be special ordered for any bike.
The Smokin' Joes edition F3s had Miguel DuHamel's 'signature' that were just stickers.

·
Registered
263 Posts
BDA116 said:
I really doubt the signature on the '04 RC51s are actually signed on the bike by Nicky. They are more likely just a sticker - one that could be special ordered for any bike.
The Smokin' Joes edition F3s had Miguel DuHamel's 'signature' that were just stickers.

yeah!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts