Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year my 929 was stolen after only riding it about 3000 km's. After insurance screwed me and so on I ended up with an '03 zx 636. I have racked up about 4000 km's on it. My question is I have found an '01 929 with 8000 km's on it, what will the downfalls be if I trade my zx in on a 929. I can barely remember what it was like to ride. I generally just do weekend riding, semi-aggressive. And I am about 5'10 190 lbs. Pro's and con's appreciated.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I prefer a liter bike (or close :smilebig: ) to a 600 for riding on the street - period (if that's what you're doing on the weekends).

That may be just me, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
341 Posts
929... better for riding long distances. Its more comfortable for me anyway. I'm about the same size as you. I never much cared for the 636's, or any Kawi to be honest. The 929 has so much more torque than the 636, so throttle snap on the 929 = more fun for the money. Only pro for the Kawi I can think of is that the lighter weight will make the bike easier for you to point it in turns, but the 929 isn't too heavy to handle. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
341 Posts
600 class bikes are easy to throw around. My roommate's F4i is quicker in the turns, but on acceleration, I pass the 600 like its standing still. I'd say it depends on your riding style. Are you an aggressive style rider, or more safety oriented? If you like to ride hard, and love leaning, then the difference is mild. I personally don't like a bike so light. Bumps are felt harder for one thing.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
It depends on your build, weight, etc. I'm a big guy, but even smaller riders seem to like liters for the street - it's a torque thing (not the movie).

Stoplights, freeway and rural passing, 2-up, etc comes to mind...

does it make a difference if its a small or big guy? I'd actually guess bigger guys would like a liter bike on the street more than a smaller guy.

I know that I like not having to rev the crap outta the thing. riding 600s I feel like I'm almost doing something illegal because you have to be at like 8 grand to feel like you've got the motor going.

·
Registered
29 Posts
600's rock...

I'm actually keen to change my 929 to a 636 at some stage...they're a flawed bike standard, but with a bit of suspension work they're absolute weapons.

For you though, riding only on the road, the 929 is a better bike...on that odd trackday now and then, the 636 is nirvana...the way they turn in and tear towards the apex is stunning.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
My question is I have found an '01 929 with 8000 km's on it, what will the downfalls be if I trade my zx in on a 929.
Oh, and sorry I didn't address this before, but rarely will you get as good a deal on a trade-in versus a private sale.

I would put it up for private sale, even if it isn't paid off, and only trade-in if you get a GREAT deal or some other benefit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts