Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I'm in the market for a trailer and have a few questions.

1. Good size for 2 bikes
2. Good brand
3. Cost
4. Easy of use...Getting bikes in and out.

I'm in the military so also will be using the trailer to store them in so need the ability to get them in and out with easy.

Any help is welcomed.
Thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nate_929 said:
Currently I'm in the market for a trailer and have a few questions.

1. Good size for 2 bikes
2. Good brand
3. Cost
4. Easy of use...Getting bikes in and out.

I'm in the military so also will be using the trailer to store them in so need the ability to get them in and out with easy.

Any help is welcomed.
Thanks
Haulmark, or Featherlite make good setups. A ramp-style back door makes loading/unloading a snep.

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
1. Good size for 2 bikes.......................6X12 or 7X14
2. Good brand...................................Pace, Haulmark, Featherlight.
3. Cost............................................$1800-$4000
4. Easy of use...Getting bikes in and out. Get the rear ramp door and a side door! A top vent will help air it out.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Yup, all of the above. Assuming you want enclosed? We have a US Cargo that we've been happy with...7x14. Plenty roomy for 2 bikes with room enough to squeeze around them and store all the gear. We can put a third bike in if necessary.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yep, get the biggest trailer you can easily park where you live, and tow with your truck.

If it doesn't have "bearing buddies", stay on top of the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
212 Posts
6X10 will easily take two bikes and gear and a scooter or mountain bike. My Pace Cargo Sport (that's right, I'm into sport trailering) was about $3500 with a ramp door, side door, overhead light, spare, stabilizer jacks, roof vent, welded in e-track. I tend to hear Wells Cargo, Pace, U.S. Cargo in roughly that order although I see some other brands that look well built. I'd look at the construction of a Wells and use that to compare the quality of other brands.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
My 6x10' cargo sport has been a great trailer. :):thumb:

6x12 is much better for 2 bikes though. Also, get the taller ceilings in the trailer or you'll constantly hit your head.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I've got a 6x10 also...it works...but less than ideal for frequent use with 2 bikes imho...

If I were buying today, and planned to haul 2 bikes frequently, I'd only look at 7 footers...and then buy as much length as my budget allowed... :twocents:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I will be getting one in the next month or so for sure. I'm currently without a garage so the bikes are at a friend’s house..What a pain. Just trying to get a feel as to what I will be looking for and such before going and talking with them in person. Not sure what you all are using to tow with but I have a Trailblazer so my tow cap is not as large as a bigger truck. I been thinking 7 feet wide and not sure either 10 or 12 feet long, I guess it comes down to pricing. I think my cap will be around 3k so will have to look around. Seems all the websites I find don't give prices on any of the trailers just the different models. If any of you have any secret squirrel sites if you can post them it would help me out immensely.

Thanks
Nate

·
Registered
212 Posts
You should be able to find a nice used one. I might have gone to 12 but 10 is the max I could fit in my driveway. It sits, loaded in lieu of a bigger shed. Standing headroom is also worth it. I don't know about 7 wide, I think Baketech has a couple Goldwings he takes to Daytona maybe.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
No secret price sites but there is weights on some so you can figure a tow capacity. Also I have heard that 1' of width equals 2' of length on mileage (I do prefer a 7' though)

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Plenty of Harleys have been in there...but no Wings that I can recall... :evilaugh:

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
The 7x14 is MUCH more roomy than a 6x12. It doesn't sound like a big difference in size, but I was surprised when switched.

But, having said that, if I get another it'll be a 6x12 because it's more manageble and doesn't take up as much room.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
6x12-7x14 = 26 sq ft more area.

They're much bigger. The good news/bad news.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I like the 7 because you get slightly better splay on the tie downs, plus it's easier pulling the bikes in with fuel jugs etc on the sides...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Honda Gals's is 7X14 and it is cavernous.

My 6X10 doesn't have brakes so I rely on my F-150's to stop it and my mature driving attitude. :D Anything bigger than a 6X10 and you'll definitely need trailer brakes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well thanks for all the info once again and now I am in more debate in what I want to look for then before :hmm: This is what I have gotten from all of you.

6 X 10 is nice but 7 X 12 is better and any larger is out since I don't have the ability for trailer brakes without some extra attention to my truck.

It needs a front door unless you enjoy stabbing yourself in the eye everytime you need something from the front.

Has to have a Door thats a ramp

Look for a taller one.

Seems that no brand is better then the others, since no one brought it up.

Thanks again

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Nope there are definetely better brands. Look at the skin and roof when you search. Brands tend to be somewhat regional though (there are some that are Nationwide) For instance I think the quality on mine is much higher than a Pace but so is the price more.

Also on brakes if you get double axle it will have brakes (I think it is law, is here). But be aware that the second axle adds weight. However you have a built in spare :eyebrows:

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I've got a 6 x 12 single axle (no brakes) Continental Cargo with 6'2" headroom. If fits two bikes, spare wheels, tool cabinet, stands, etc. with room to spare. The one benefit to a 6' wide trailer is you can see behind it with the outside mirrors...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts