Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after my weekend ride, I thought I'd do some maintenance to the bike, and got around to doing the chain slack check/adjustment. I looked all over the place for my tape measure (what I usually use), but couldn't find it...

Then, a simple idea came to me: why not scribe a mark, at the right distance from the end of the key, to mark the ideal chain slack (1 3/4' for the 954)? This way, the right gauge will always be available and handy, no need to eyeball, measure, etc, it's all right there on the key, ready any time you are.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
ConqSoft : Take your bike key.  Mesasure from the tip, up 1 3/4'.  Make a mark on the key.   Now you have a measuring device for your chain, that's always with the bike.
Uhhhh, that wasn't so difficult now was it? . Sometimes, you know, can't see the forest for the trees thing. Damn!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bacchus : Quote (ConqSoft @ May 26 2003, 6:57pm)Take your bike key.  Mesasure from the tip, up 1 3/4'.  Make a mark on the key.   Now you have a measuring device for your chain, that's always with the bike.
Uhhhh, that wasn't so difficult now was it?   .  Sometimes, you know, can't see the forest for the trees thing.  Damn!
Treehugger

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bacchus : Quote (ConqSoft @ May 26 2003, 6:57pm)Take your bike key.  Mesasure from the tip, up 1 3/4'.  Make a mark on the key.   Now you have a measuring device for your chain, that's always with the bike.
Uhhhh, that wasn't so difficult now was it?   .  Sometimes, you know, can't see the forest for the trees thing.  Damn!
Bacchus its like this where you live.

Sometimes, you know, can't see the desert for the cactus thing. Damn!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Az929RR : Sometimes, you know, can't see the desert for the cactus thing.  Damn!
Those aren't cacti in Bacchus' mind.....they are 20ft tall green morels.....

·
Registered
276 Posts
2OHOH2954 : So after my weekend ride, I thought I'd do some maintenance to the bike, and got around to doing the chain slack check/adjustment. I looked all over the place for my tape measure (what I usually use), but couldn't find it...

Then, a simple idea came to me: why not scribe a mark, at the right distance from the end of the key, to mark the ideal chain slack (1 3/4' for the 954)? This way, the right gauge will always be available and handy, no need to eyeball, measure, etc, it's all right there on the key, ready any time you are.
I'm a moron, but isn't the 1.75' an on-the-rear-wheel-stand figure? If you check the slack on the side stand or on the bike, shouldn't it be somewhat less than 1 3/4 inches?

BW

PS: The key idea is a good one.....worthy of Hints from Heloise!!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BushrodW : I'm a moron, but isn't the 1.75' an on-the-rear-wheel-stand figure? If you check the slack on the side stand or on the bike, shouldn't it be somewhat less than 1 3/4 inches?

BW

PS: The key idea is a good one.....worthy of Hints from Heloise!!
It's a valid concern, but according to the manual (page 145):

'Before servicing your drive chain, turn the engine OFF(*), lower the side stand, and check that your transmission is in neutral.'

* how did they know that Steggy was going to get one?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts