Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The black rubber thing attached under the reservoir cap is hanging down about 2" into the brake fluid. Is this normal, or should it be collapsed like an accordian and not hanging down as low?

thx

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
SilverBullet said:
Mine has been that way since I picked it up from the dealership. Sits at an angle. :idunno:
As the pads wear the pistons move farther out. The area behind the piston is fills with fluid that was in the res. To keep the fluid from airating from sloshong around, there is the diaphram in there. It 'unfolds' as the fluid moves down keeping the area underneath it "full" so it won't slosh.
If all you do is open it up and fill it, you will have to take that extra fluid out when you put pads in. You should never just add fluid. If it looks that low you will need pads. Always push the pads back fully on both sides and suck out all the old fluid from the res. when replacing pads (unless you already have fresh fluid in there). Put new pads in, add fresh fluid to the full line. Pump the lever, do any bleeding if necessary and then add fluid to the full level. Make sure the diaphram is 'folded' up and cap it. Now YOU know its full when the pads are new.
If you dont wear pads out quickly and want to change the fluid, put a piece of tape on the side of the res. and when you are done changing the fluid, fill to the tape line. :thumb:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put on steel-braided lines, and refilled the fluid, so I'm ok there. I thought it might have gotten sucked down when I bled the brakes, but wasn't sure. I tried pushing it up to make it more compact (to add more fluid instead of having this boot-thing occupy all the space), but it didn't seem like it wanted to fold up. Is it ok to run it expanded long term then? The boot is expanded, and the fluid is at the full mark.

thanks

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
It only goes up so far, but even though you put new lines on and bled them, if the pads are down to the backing plate your fluid level is wrong. Just make sure when you put new pads on you fill it to the line. The diaphram is meant to take the place of the fluid so be careful. You could fill it 1/2 way, throw a ping-pong ball in there and it will still look full. Don't compromise your brakes!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I tried compressing the boot, but it seems reluctant and I'm afraid to rip it or tear it. Guess I'll give it another try, though.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
SilverBullet said:
Mine has been that way since I picked it up from the dealership. Sits at an angle. :idunno:

Mine was that way at 0 miles too. Is that normal, or did they not service the brakes properly when the bike was prepped? :idunno:

·
Registered
236 Posts
yeah it does actually fold up but only in 1 particular way, took me a while to figure out u'll need to tuck one flap in under another. i did mine the other day it sits sorta flush with the cap if its done right.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Brand new pads, folded up, brake fluid to the line. Then as your pads wear out you see the folded unfoldes... and unless you got a leak it is a sign of pad wear. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts