Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 98 motor in my 96 rr and I'm wondering if there is a neutral lockout preventing it from shifting into 2nd when its stopped? I'm trying to bench test the trans and I can't get it to shift into second gear. I can get first and neutral only...

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I highly highly doubt it. Turn the output shaft manually a few turns and see if you can get it to go. Just stubborn.

THere is a '99 going through the dealer auction in Calgary on Wednesday... It'll probably go stupid cheap.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Big Kahuna said:
No lock-out on my 98, I can shift through all the gears while at a stop, or even if the engine is not running.
Thanks BK.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well....this isn't cool then. it's sitting on a bench, ready to go in...but I dunno if I should take the time to do it, only to find it's not going to work....:huh:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
See if it will go into gear as you turn the output \ sprocket shaft.
I'm sure you have already tried that, but I might as well say it just in case.

It sounds like you may have to tear into the tranny and do a quick repair. Then again something could be stuck for a simple stupid reason.

How long has this engine been sitting?

Just curious, but why are you swapping engines? If you have a blown 96 model motor you may be able to use the top end off of the 98 and mate it with the 96 Tranny.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm swapping because I lost 2nd gear in my 96RR, and it was using oil in the high RPMs. I got the 98 motor off of E-bay for a good deal, and it has only 7,500kms on it....I'm pretty sure I was turnig the sprocket when i was shifting....I'm also using a pair of vise grips on the shaft too (not on the splines!) I might just not be getting enough force on it, I dunno?!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
It shouldn't take a great deal of force. I would separate the motor and make sure all is good. I know you don't want to hear that, but I feel it's better to be safe than sorry. Besides, you need to know what the insides look like. I would hate to know that you installed an engine worse off than the one you are removing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts