Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often does a rear shock assembly need to be replaced. I wanted to tighten the rear preload the other day and went to my last setting. The bike is a 929 with 43,000 miles and I weight 155lbs. It drops at least a half an inch when I sit on it. I would think on the tightest setting the bike wouldn't drop at all with me on it. Another question, I can't seem to find a replacement spring just the whole shock assembly. Is that all that is available?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds normal to me, even on the tightest setting it should drop a little bit. Unless you're planning to have extra weight I recommend setting the suspension properly, too much preload for your weight and the bike will handle very poorly.. and I believe it's usually oil/gas that needs to be checked if you suspect your shocks are shot.

·
Registered
334 Posts
well I weight about the same as you and I still get some drop (20K miles). I tried to set the rear at lowest setting but when I hit large bumps it eventually pops up to two somehow so I just left it there.

now your front forks, change the oil and crank the preload down all the way. add about 1/2 turn (hard) from full soft and it rides like butter. Make sure your rebound it nice and snug too it should rebound quite quicly.

To answer your question no, unless there was a gas leak. the rear is gas filled so it shouldnt wear out. You might be riding on the spring with no gas in the shock and from what you say, that very well sounds like the problem. You should beable to get the shock recharged and see if it leaks....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts