Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
hi guys bit of a noob question for ya? What have i got to do to get quick shift on my 99 cbr-900rr.
as i have decided i need it :):clap:

An electronic shifter is simply an adjustable timed pressure switch in the shift linkage rod connected indirectly to the kill switch. When you put pressure against the shifter it triggers the switch which kills the ignition for several milliseconds. To change gears without using the clutch you need to unload the transmission. Normally you back off the throttle momentarily but the pressure switch allows you to keep the throttle wide open during shifts.
The old way of doing it was to wire the horn button through the kill switch and just fan the button to make the full throttle up shifts.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
i just got school!!!! cheers heaps bladeracer. so when u say old way? its still not the wrong way, just sounds a lot cheaper and pretty cool once u get down ur shifts with the setup :)

Nowadays I would think you should be able to wire an adjustable timer into the circuit just like the quickshifter. Then you would just press the button and it would cut the circuit for a specific length of time. That's electrickery though which is black magic to me - I have to pay a guy to do that stuff for me :)
Are you already shifting without using the clutch?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats what im after cheers flyingpig :) hey blade i have been using clutch less with high rev stuff but that only on the 2011 g-sxr. on my blade and firestorm i always used clutch (at the moment) main reson for me getting is so i can up shift on the blade and not have to worry about putting front wheel down till im ready :). once again thanks heaps guys :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
thats what im after cheers flyingpig :) hey blade i have been using clutch less with high rev stuff but that only on the 2011 g-sxr. on my blade and firestorm i always used clutch (at the moment) main reson for me getting is so i can up shift on the blade and not have to worry about putting front wheel down till im ready :). once again thanks heaps guys :)

There is no problem shifting up the box while on one wheel, you don't need an electronic shifter for that.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
does the quickshifter stop the arse kicking out under heavy breaking?

The quick shifter is for changing gears, nothing to do with braking.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
well there is with mine what u recon it would be then, also i do want to change over to quick shift with this bike anyways im not racing it but will be hitting track as offtine as i can.

Are you shifting without the clutch?
I've only seen video of one guy that uses the clutch to shift while in a wheelie, I'm sure there must be others though. Everybody I know shifts clutchless when on one wheel.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Are you shifting without the clutch?
I've only seen video of one guy that uses the clutch to shift while in a wheelie, I'm sure there must be others though. Everybody I know shifts clutchless when on one wheel.
:plus1: just shift hard and fast as you're mid wheelie... with my +7 (50 tooth) rear sprocket I'm going 80-90mph when I shift into second... I do it clutchless by bringing the bike up on the higher end of the balance point, let off the gas for a milisecond or so (lol) and shift... the bike dips but you're in second and golden.

If wheelies are your goal you don't need a quick shifter... as for racing, you'd want it for drag racing and track use if your experienced enough to get the benifits of it... otherwise clutchless upshifts the old school way are good:)

(in my opinion):thumb:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
:plus1: just shift hard and fast as you're mid wheelie... with my +7 (50 tooth) rear sprocket I'm going 80-90mph when I shift into second... I do it clutchless by bringing the bike up on the higher end of the balance point, let off the gas for a milisecond or so (lol) and shift... the bike dips but you're in second and golden.

If wheelies are your goal you don't need a quick shifter... as for racing, you'd want it for drag racing and track use if your experienced enough to get the benefits of it... otherwise clutchless upshifts the old school way are good:)

(in my opinion):thumb:
With that gearing you would be hitting the limiter at around 70mph in first :)
It's rare I would wheelie the 929 in first, I usually pop it up in second at around 35mph without the clutch and work my way up to fourth from there. Second runs out to around 100mph at the limiter. As long as the bike is up fairly high you shouldn't get any noticeable dip during the shifts.
Don't forget, clutchless downshifts are also good :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
With that gearing you would be hitting the limiter at around 70mph in first :)
It's rare I would wheelie the 929 in first, I usually pop it up in second at around 35mph without the clutch and work my way up to fourth from there. Second runs out to around 100mph at the limiter. As long as the bike is up fairly high you shouldn't get any noticeable dip during the shifts.
Don't forget, clutchless downshifts are also good :)

Oh yeah... I forget that I don't have a speedo healer:) so yep, I'm actually going 70 or so:):plus1:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts