Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Just bought some r&g crash bungs for my 2009 fireblade, but as usual i'm stood here looking at the bike thinking how do I fit these :confused:

I have no idea how to take the side panels off in case I snap 1....:rolleyes:

Has anybody fitted r&g's who can give me any help or advice on how to fit them ?....all comments appreciated.....:)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Sorry mate, can't help you with that one.

When I did the tail tidy, I asked my dealer for pointers in removing the bodywork and they were very helpful.

I have been told that the fairings are the jigsaw from hell though. Good luck !!

·
Registered
20,981 Posts
Try the search engine butty, I know that someone has put them on a 08/09 blade. Good luck with your search.....or give it some time and I'm sure someone will be along soon to help out :thumb:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ive done it twice once on my stolen 08 and again on my 09 Repsol.

Its very simple:

1) Remove the Lower Cowl
-There are 4 allen head bolts holding the lower on 2 on each side, remove them.
-Once those are out the easiest way to remove the lower is to push the little piece at the very front of the bike (the V shaped wedge between the mid cowls), backwards. It will "snap" out and then you can remove it from the bike. ***Sometimes it is easier to do each side individually by pulling the bottom of the mid cowl forward while pushing the lower back.***

2) Remove the single silver allen head bolt at the rearmost part of the mid cowl. This is as much as you need to remove to get at the engine mount bolts.

3) Remove the engine mount bolt and thread the supplied R&G centering spike in the engine mount hole. Thread it in enough so that it is not touching the mid cowl when the cowl is just hanging there. Then back it out until it is just touching the inside of the cowl while its at rest.

4) With the palm of your hand, GENTLY hit the cowl over where the spike is until you can see a "pronounced" bump where the spike is.

5) Remove the spike.

6) With the fairing still attached to the bike use the spike to make a small divot on the the outside of the cowl right where you made the small bump, this will aid in centering the drill bit for your pilot hole.

7) With a small drill bit (1/8" to 3/16" is fine) drill a pilot hole. Screw the spike back in and verify that the point of the spike is centered in the pilot hole then remove the spike.

8) Cover the area to be drilled with some painters tape, this helps with the hole cutter, a 3" x 3" square is more than enough.

9) While pulling the mid cowl away from the bike (about 5-6 inches), slowly drill the hole with a one and a quarter inch hole saw. Go slow to keep from melting the plastic your cutting.

10) Once the hole is cut, clean the edges of the hole with a small file to get rid of any burrs.

11) Install the slider as per the instructions be careful to use the right spacers and to make sure the spacer on the right side of the engine (between the engine and the frame) is in place.

12) Reinstall Lower cowl in the reverse order of removing it.

Thats pretty much it, the right side cowl has some fiberglass heat shielding that you can just cut through with the hole saw, its not gonna mess anything up. when its done it should look like this :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, I just fitted these to my 09 blade and did by removing the fairing. This was a real fiddle if you're not used to it. When cutting the hole for the bolts find the position as suggested but when drilling make sure the fairing is held firm; mine moved a bit so not a perfect hole. Also, would suggested cutting hole a bit bigger than recommended as ti can be a tight fit if not positioned exactly.

good luck!

stegzzz

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fitted them to my 09, for some reason I did n't get the spike with mine so I ended up using paint on the bolt head to mark the inside of the mid cowl when pressed on to the bolt. I went for the full jigsaw removal, you just need to set your stall out and not rush it. Double check the bungs after each ride as I found one of mine came loose. Not sure if anyone else has had this, I don't have a torque wrench and was worried about over tightening. Good luck!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks to Gerd....followed his instructions to the letter......:)

Now fitted and chuffed to bits with them......would still be stuck if Gerd hadn't helped.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a little heads up for others fitting these R&G sliders. I fitted these on my 08 Ratblade by just removing the lower cowl and pulling the fairing gently away from the engine/frame. I started the job full of misgivings about drilling big holes in the fairing. I did the right hand side first and it was easy. Brimming with confidence I attacked the left hand side. As the hole saw bit into the plastic all this white fluff sprayed out into my face- I crapped myself, thought I'd drilled through something I shouldn't. Turned out to be some insulating/shockabsorbing/soundproofing/vibereducing-I don't know what- material glued to the inside of the fairing. Whatever it was the bike still runs and the sliders have earned their corn (twice). So go for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It was the heat shielding on the inside of the fairing. After I drilled a pilot hole, I cut a small section of this stuff from the fairing before drilling the big hole. A good reason to actually removing the fairing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for all the help especially Gerd.....must have taken ages to type them instructions out, but got them on perfect...!!!!!!.....:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts