Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of r&g crash protectors for my 2000 929 blade. Foillowing instructions i undid the nearside engine bolt and put the spacer in the recess in the frame. After a while of trying to fasten the bolt, it seems that it will not work and the bolt is spinning, but I'm no longer able to tighten or loosen the bolt - it's just spinning round with nothing happening. There is about 10mm of play where the protector is moving inwards and outwards. Has anyone else experienced problems fitting these? and if so, how did you go about sorting it out? Cheers, Charlie.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you either stripped the threads where the bolt goes in or you need a longer bolt.
I'm dont think ( I hope, lol) I've stripped the threads, the only reason i say this is because there was no resistance at all whilst tightening and nothing was happening, it could certainely be the wrong size bolt though... I wish r&g would supply a diagram for fitting though....
If I have stripped the threads, would I still be able to ride to a shop and have it fixed? as there is 1 bolt opposite secure and the r&g bot is definately in far enough? Soz for the noob reply but i'm new to all this!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well are the bolts the same size? Is it the same looking threads and size as the stock bolt?

Yes, I checked that the bolt and threads seem to be exactly the same size as the engine bolt that was in its place, i'm 99% sure there aren't 2 different mushroom bolts,, in fact i'm sure there are'nt.... Charlie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Charlie, i have fitted R&G's to my 954 and i'm sure the bolts are sided as they are different lengths,

Could this be the problem ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ tercuk, this could well be the problem then, the original engine bolt is exactly the same as the one I havnt fitted yet so sounds about right, Any ideas on how to remove it?
@ Midwestrider will take some pics and upload them when i've worked out how!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Without seeing it, you could try turning the head of the bolt and putting a wedge/screwdriver between the crash bung and the frame if there is room to ease it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts