Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After dealing with cracked stator covers on previous bikes I bought a set of R&G Engine Protectors for my 954RR. A friend who'd had a 954 mentioned the stator cover will touch the ground if you drop the bike even with crash protectors on.
Installation was easy enough, remove fairings and 3 or 4 bolts from the engine casing, put the engine protector on and replace the bolts using the supplied ones. This is where it got annoying, the instructions provided by R&G say to tighten the bolts to 10nm. Before you get anywhere near 10nm the bolt heads start to strip. It would appear they have supplied me with bolts made of the finest cheesium. All other bolts tightened up to about 7nm and I now have one that will be difficult to remove when the need arises.

I emailed R&G asking them about the quality of the bolts and the reply was that they use the same bolts in all their kits.

So in summary, the covers seem well made (and hopefully never get tested) but the bolts are crap. If I'd had the option I would have bought the GB-Racing covers instead but they do not make covers for the 954.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
That's odd. The alternator cover bolts torque figure in the manual is 12Nm. Assuming they haven't actually made the bolts out of cheddar, I'd suspect they weren't going in deep enough. Might be worth checking the length, you'd need to have I'd say at least 10 turns on the bolt before it bites. You say the bolt heads started to strip. I could believe the internal threads of the aluminium casing would strip if the bolt wasn't in deep enough, but not the bolt head (external hex or allen bolts?), and not the bolt threads, being steel (or are they really cheese?) .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolts they include in the packaging are slightly longer than the stock bolts. They're definitely threaded into the casing fine but the head of the bolt starts to bend with the allen bit. I'll try grab a picture of the offending bolt. And yes, they're just cheese. As soon as I need to do any maintenance and take them out they'll be replaced with something more suitable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts