Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i went to the hastings bash yesterday superb ride out loads of bikers there and i saw a blade like mine but with the r&g tail tidy on must say looks stunning!
now i asked the bloke was it hard to fit and bearing in mind i've read the posts 3 hours here nightmare there etc he said piece of piss took him under an hour load of balls i say!!!
any ways i'm not mechanically minded so i thought i would enquire at my dealers cos i got my blade there and i get 20% off accessories etc so i can get the tail tidy for £90 but heres the rip off including fitting £240!!!!!

now i'm quite willing to pay someone 50 notes to give me hand but are they taking the piss?
anyway if i install on my own i have a datatool alarm which is obviously connected to the indicators but would they have connected it to the main plug or spliced it to the block i have to cut off??

·
Registered
23 Posts
The tail tidy really isn't that difficult to fit, the hardest part i found was fitting the electrical connecters to the wires, which took about half hour to do, but that's because i'm mechanically useless. took a couple of hours overall. with all the electrial stuff simply unplugging you should be able to get round it easily. to find out how the dealer spliced the alarm in, a quick phone call should be enough to find out. You might have fun fitting the alarm in the new storage box though as the bottom is smooth unlike the honda one, the latch unit will probably be the easy option.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Dev

I was the same mate, after speaking to the dealer I thought "f00k it" I'll have a go and got my mate to help me.

It will scare you easing the rear cowl off, just note you need to pull it back about a quarter of an inch towards the tail light first so the hole in the cowl for the key lock starts moving up over the lock. This will start to reveal the "U" shaped lock connectors in the plastic that couple each side together.

As for your indicators, yes check with your dealer. I would imagine they will have spliced in to the indicator wire, or even scotch locked it.

FWIW I mamnged to insure mine no problem with just the standard Honda HISS system. If you want to drop me a line when you come to do the tail tidy, feel free. BTW £90 for the tidy is a great price. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok cheers splatty will do :) taking her to germany first to see superbikes gonna be a looooong ride so will see how she does on that then get funds sorted

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
No problem mate.

If I can do it, anybody can as I'm useless with a spanner/screwdriver in my hands.

I work in IT, probably why I can manage the dash computer !!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
You need to learn how to work on the bike yourself anyways. The stealer will never do as good of a job as you can do yourself.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
:plus1:

Gotta agree there mate. I took quite a while getting the heat shrink perfect so I was happy. Delaer would probably just get it on and out the door asap.

·
Banned
236 Posts
Well I get to put my R&G on tomorrow when I pick up the bike, looking over the instructions it really does look a piece of piss but time and patience is whats needed.

I had the dealer take my pillion pegs off so I could get them powder coated black so that job is one I will tackle later if I put them back on. But for most part take your time if anything feels like its too tight watch it cos you might snap it but alot of the plastics can bend a bit before that happens (tail unit)

Its worth at least trying it and if you get stuck or scared post on here and people will help.

Russ

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
It goes over the LED number plate light wires, and the indicator wires through to the new number plate holder.

Real PIA to pull through and get just how you want it, then use a heat gun to shrink it tightly over the wires for a nice tidy finish.

I'm a bit of a fanatic with how I look after my bikes.

If ever I'm selling one, they are always worth a look.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well I get to put my R&G on tomorrow when I pick up the bike, looking over the instructions it really does look a piece of piss but time and patience is whats needed.

I had the dealer take my pillion pegs off so I could get them powder coated black so that job is one I will tackle later if I put them back on. But for most part take your time if anything feels like its too tight watch it cos you might snap it but alot of the plastics can bend a bit before that happens (tail unit)

Its worth at least trying it and if you get stuck or scared post on here and people will help.

Russ
Its just a pig getting the rear cowl off you think it will break the amount you have to pull it apart but its fine just not easy and even worse getting back on:eek:

·
Banned
236 Posts
I nearly had kittens when I did mine I thought the thing was going to snap and I had only had the bike 6 hours :) but as Rich says its worse going back on cos you have to spread it and drag it over the subframe (which is a sexy bit of metalwork).

In regards to the heat shrink I did the same as Splatty 2 pieces the same cover the indicator wires and just reach inside the tail where the orange and blue plugs are and the longer piece (cut down as its stupid having that long a cable) to match the length so my connectors are at the top of the tail where they come through the hole.

Russ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts