Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No I can't send my forks to dan as the cost for the freight is too great.

As I weigh approx 100 kg (suited up)(approx 220 lbs) I'm looking at upgrading my forks with heavier springs and a few of the local suspension experts(?) here recommend the race tech gold valves.
Are they worth the cost and will I notice the difference, assuming the experts do their job correctly?
They are also talking about changing the rear spring and revalving the rear shock, worth it or not?

Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not for the 929/954 forks, Or for any modern forks. All the gold valves do is flow more oil. You can have your forks valved and made to work very well by someone who knows what they are doing. You probably would want .95kg springs at least and then you will need the compression stack revalved. Take the forks apart and experiment yourself with the shims, or not?
Mitch

·
Registered
128 Posts
When i discussed this with Dan I was told it was better to simply replace the stock rear with a aftermarket. not worth the bother of swapping parts.

As far as the Racetech. I haven't heard too many good things about them. The local speed shops push em but you know what that means

·
Registered
846 Posts
For what it's worth: it ain't a blade, but I have Race Tech valving and springs on both ends of my 2002 KTM motocross race bike. It made a huge difference and was totally worth the money.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Whoever said they flow more oil was right. Dan has experimented with all this on the Showas. You want to use the stock valves, just need the spacers altered from stock, and perhaps new springs and that is all.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My problem is , that the local suspension guys do not alter the standard valving much at all, they all replace them with race tech valves.
I guess I have to go with what ever suspension guy I use, recommends as they have the experience

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
johnnycrash : For what it's worth: it ain't a blade, but I have Race Tech valving and springs on both ends of my 2002 KTM motocross race bike.  It made a huge difference and was totally worth the money.
Paul Thede is an MX expert, and KTM suspension sucks so bad it's not hard to make better.  But this ain't a dirty bike...

Ratter, it's worth considering the suspension guys you're talking about make good, easy money on those kits.  Try to find someone with Ohlins valving if you must replace the Honda stuff.

That all said, I did have my original forks rebuilt with Race tech rebound and compression valves and they did work better. But the guy that set them up did not use the shim stack recommended by Race Tech, so I don't know how that would work.

·
Registered
846 Posts
LTL's quote: 'and KTM suspension sucks so bad it's not hard to make better.'

Man, that was pretty harsh.

You aren't the first person I have heard say that but I totally disagree. I spent about $1200 on my 2000 KX250 suspension from Pro Circuit and a fraction of that on my 2002 KTM 520 suspension from Race Tech and it is at least as good as my Kawi was.

Too many people just say KTM susp sucks because it doesn't have gee-whiz rising rate linkage.

From now on I will withhold my 'dirty bike' comments.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I bought gold valves before I knew about Dan Kyle. In my 929 I ran both compression and rebound gold valves. Now in my 954 I only used the compression gold valve and just use the extra shims that come in the kit to add to the stock rebound valve. This combo seems to work very well. I also polished the whole assembly for less sticktion. The only reason I used the gold valve for the compression is because of the way the valve stack is on the stock one. If you want to make it have less force it would be tough to figure out with a lot of trial and error. I just didn't feel like putting in that much time. Although I did have to go stiffer then the Race Tech guide said to put them.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
johnnycrash : ...I spent about $1200 on my 2000 KX250 suspension from Pro Circuit and a fraction of that on my 2002 KTM 520 suspension from Race Tech and it is at least as good as my Kawi was....
Or just buy a CRF450 and not f--k with it at all since it works so frikkin awesome

·
Registered
846 Posts
'Or just buy a CRF450 and not f--k with it at all since it works so frikkin awesome '

When you weigh 240 lbs without gear and race A class you have to f--k with any of them.

But ... a CRF450 is what my next bike will be.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yeah, that was kinda harsh, but I didn't mean to offend.
But, actually no, it's not because it doesn't have a linkage. On a properly designed rear suspension I'm not convinced it needs one. It's from friend's bikes I've ridden, and friend's opinions.

All bikes have their good and bad points. My CR250 has an awesome chassis, with a pretty good running motor, that pisses me off because it won't jet properly.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
johnnycrash : For what it's worth: it ain't a blade, but I have Race Tech valving and springs on both ends of my 2002 KTM motocross race bike.  It made a huge difference and was totally worth the money.
My buddy had them do his XR600 and he's trying to figure out why he waited so long to do it. World of improvement he said.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ratter, check out www.ptr.com.au

Phil has suspension packages to suit everyone and he only uses Ohlins. My Blade is going there soon for exactly that.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cal : Ratter, check out www.ptr.com.au

Phil has suspension packages to suit everyone and he only uses Ohlins.  My Blade is going there soon for exactly that.
Thanx for that.
I have allready sent them the same email twice asking them what exactly they do for the money, just waiting for a reply.

What are they going to do to yours and what price?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts