Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My bike has been slowly running hotter over the past few months. It used to always run below 80 degrees (except on hot summer days when stuck at a robot) but now it's running between 77 - 87 degrees in winter while riding. A number of possible problems have been proposed - thermostat, waterpump etc, but before I send it into the shop to be worked on I want to try cleaning the radiator, which is quite clogged with bugs.

I'm thinking of using a corrosive cleaner such as caustic soda, which has been recommended to disolve the bugs without harming the fins. Does anyone know if this is a good idea, or if it will damage the paint/metal/plastic areas?

Thanks for your advice

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
When was the last time you changed and flushed your coolant and cooling system?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had that done last week, a complete flush and coolant replacement. If anything, that seemed to make the problem worse.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
You could still have air in the system, or not enough coolant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stood over them while they were doing it - which I always do unless it's a big job. The mechanic assured me it was a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water, and I asked about airlocks and he assured me there wouldn't be any - the radiator was full when he put the cap on.

I just checked, and there's coolant in the resevoir, so that means the radiator's okay, right?

·
Registered
314 Posts
dude just clean it with like a window cleaning squert bottle or a hose at normal tap pressure and just rinse threw!!!!
as long as coolant level is good it should cool!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just checked, and there's coolant in the resevoir, so that means the radiator's okay, right?
Actually, your radiator is OK because your engine isn't overheating. A few bugs are going to lessen the efficiency of the intercooler a bit, but not so much as to cause concern. You're running well within normal operating temperatures. If your bike was running a temp of 110C while moving, then I'd start to worry. My advice is to take a hose to it and then get out and ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts