Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
You can add in a manual fan switch to bring the fan on when you're stuck in traffic if you like. You need to add the bit in YELLOW. DO NOT break the connection in the stock wiring or the fan won't come on automatically at all. Just splice into it.

Reactions: jondog9

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
You can add in a manual fan switch to bring the fan on when you're stuck in traffic if you like. You need to add the bit in YELLOW. DO NOT break the connection in the green bit (the stock wiring) or the fan won't come on automatically at all. Just splice into it.

damn, i have a pretty significant update to make... I had this suspicion for some reason, hence why i mentioned the fact that I had the headlight and turn signal problem due to a ground wire problem 2 days ago that I fixed.

as soon as I turn the high beams on... the temp gauge reads around 10 degrees higher..INSTANTLY. I doubt there is any way the coolant actually gets 10degrees hotter within a second, so something is wrong electrically even though all of the lights and readouts work properly? at one point when i was stopped and the temp was around 220, i turned the high beams on and the temp jumped to around 240-235
-during normal riding, the temps stay perfectly normal. anywhere from around 172ish to 185ish
-returning from my ride just 20 min ago, I let it idle and watched closely to see when the fans come on. they come on at 228-229, not 234. I think the 234 was the high beams messing with the readout yesterday

Yesterday when it said i overheated...i did in fact have my high beams on. which probably means that i wasnt actualy running hot, it's just that the readout was saying i was..?

Also i was dripping oil from the shifter...but i'm pretty sure that was extra lube coming off the chain because i sort of overdid it with the lube yesterday haha. there is backspray on the sidewall of my tire and the chain guard too

-still dripping oil from the drain bolt though, i was hoping tightening it would help, but it probably needs a new crush washer..hopefully nothing more

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Just realised I put the extra wiring in the wrong place. It needs to be before the radiator switch, not after. (that's what happens when you're playing with Paint in work) :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
haha i love it! do you think you could shed some light on my latest update? with the high beams causing the temp readout to go up instantly by 10 degrees or even more at times?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Just realised I put the extra wiring in the wrong place. It needs to be before the radiator switch, not after. (that's what happens when you're playing with Paint in work) :D

I think Haynes should be commissioning you to do their wiring diagrams from now on Sky :)

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I think Haynes should be commissioning you to do their wiring diagrams from now on Sky :)
Isn't that the truth?! :rotfl:
I spent $26 on a Haynes manual for my work van.
Elementary, my dear Watson.
Too basic for me.
To tell you the truth, the last time I looked at any Haynes manual was for my Dad's 64 Chevy Nova 6 cylinder, points and condenser, leaded gasoline, single barrel carburetor. The good ole days. :)

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
haha i love it! do you think you could shed some light on my latest update? with the high beams causing the temp readout to go up instantly by 10 degrees or even more at times?
When the bike is cold (say 70 degrees), does it shoot up to 230 when you put the highs on then, or does it just jump up to 80?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
When the bike is cold (say 70 degrees), does it shoot up to 230 when you put the highs on then, or does it just jump up to 80?
Alright, so I just turned the bike on. First of all, the temp gauge didn't start showing a readout until the 90's. As soon as it did, I flipped the high beams on, and the temp jumped up by around 4-5 degrees. I did this a few times to confirm as the engine was getting warmer, and with every flick of the high beams, the numbers did the same.

At 120 degrees, I turned the engine off but left the ignition on. The gauge still read 120, and when I flicked the high beams on again, it jumped to - you guessed it - 124.

The times when it jumps by like 10 to even 20 degrees higher is when the engine is around 225. So again, I doubt my bike ever actually overheated, and I'm also thinking that maybe the bike is running at good temps, i.e the fans actually come on at 224ish (which i've read is normal), but the readout says 228?

This is all I have observed. cheers guys for all of your help!:thumb:

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
There has to be some sort of leakage onto the signal line from the temp sensor. Don't know whether it'd be coming from within the clocks themselves (even from the blue high beam notification light), or if it's coming from outside the clocks.

Just bear it in mind that she's hotter with the high beams on - kinda like Jessica Alba.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
There has to be some sort of leakage onto the signal line from the temp sensor. Don't know whether it'd be coming from within the clocks themselves (even from the blue high beam notification light), or if it's coming from outside the clocks.

Just bear it in mind that she's hotter with the high beams on - kinda like Jessica Alba.
hahaha that made me LOL. she isn't ACTUALLY running hotter though with the beams though is she? even with the engine off, the temp gauge jumped.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Nah, just the reading is higher.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts