Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a nice deal on a '94 CBR900RR. My complaint if very minor - on low speed corners steering is a little too quick but on anything fast it's on rails. The previous owner had Lindemann Engineering rework the forks. I'm unable to locate any bar risers and am considering lowering the fork tubes to decrease my angle to the bars for more comfort. If anyone has some bar risers please let me know they seem to be out of stock and out of production for this model excepting a set for $380 I found. I figure the steering might slow a little with this change and that wouldn't bother me. Anyone out there have experience raising the front of a CBR with 16" wheel? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Aren't the tubes flush with the top clamp on the early Blades?
How far are you planning to raise it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just dropped the shocks off at the shop to replace the seals. The preload and damping adjusters extend well above the triple clamp and there's plenty of room to drop the shock tube.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Half should be possible but I doubt there's room to go an inch.
When you mentioned bar risers I figured you were talking several inches :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip on Gilles but they don't have risers for my bike. You'd be surprised about the lack of bar risers for a '94 CBR900RR. Have done an exhaustive search for new and used stock.

I know I can raise the front - the question is has anyone done it and how did it effect handling?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I haven't tried it but I would expect the initial turn-in would be slower and then it would tend to fall into the turn once you had it laid over.
What you could try is dropping the tubes through the clamps half the depth of the upper clamp and then have 45mm tubes made to extend the tubes above the bars enough to put the clip-ons above the clamp. No idea if it'll even work but it would cost very little to try it. Cables and such may need to be extended or re-routed as well with raised bars.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Thanks for the tip on Gilles but they don't have risers for my bike. You'd be surprised about the lack of bar risers for a '94 CBR900RR. Have done an exhaustive search for new and used stock.

I know I can raise the front - the question is has anyone done it and how did it effect handling?
Sure they do. The list 1995 but according to the part numbers, the 1994 and 1995 CBR900RR use the same triple clamp and bars.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks for the tip on Gilles but they don't have risers for my bike. You'd be surprised about the lack of bar risers for a '94 CBR900RR. Have done an exhaustive search for new and used stock.:loony:

sure do I have em!!!:hmm:
mines a 96 chassis but all pre 929 blades have the same fork diameter!!:poke: :deadhors:

·
Registered
47 Posts
you could swap a 17" rim onto the front end to get that inch your looking for + the larger hoop has a much better selection of current rubber for the road and with the different tire profiles available you should be able to tweek these coefficients into your suitings... there's a lot of info on the web and especially this site to help you out with this, hope this helps you out a little bit

Chris : )

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Swapping to a 17" wheel doesn't raise the bike much if anything at all - perhaps a quarter inch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the great tips. I've been able to use them to find some great options such as the F3 17" front, new triple clamp/streetfighter type bars or just knowing the Convertibars or Gilles for later years will fit. Now if I knew where it touches down in a slide I could figure out how to order sliders....

·
Registered
240 Posts
The top of the fork tubes should be flush with the top of the triple clamp. It sounds like the previous owner raised the forks in the triple to try and speed up steering. Putting a 17" front will help a bit, depending on the tire you choose. I put a 17" on mine, and had no complaints with handling or comfort, so in order to keep the geometry the same as the stock 16"(with a 130/70), I went with a 120/65-17" tire ( a 120/70-17" will raise the front about 1/4 inch). I noticed almost no difference in handling. My bike still is very responsive, and maybe a little more stable at speed. But now I don't have to special order a 16" tire.
DO NOT drop the forks into the triple and then insert a bar to extend above the triple so that you could mount the clip ons above the triple clamp. You will not get enough surface area or clamping force on the bar by the triple, and it could twist out during some hard cornering/transitions when you really have to heave on the bars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Skater! - Thanks for the input on the 17" conversion. I'm seeing a decent selection of 16" tires out there. Mine is rock solid at speed and is too quick steering only in slow corners. Low speed steering is much quicker than my '87 CBR600. I'll probably get used to that. I'd only be interested in the 17" conversion if there was a dramatic change in the low speed handling. Without a back to back comparison it's probably hard to know what the difference would be. I had an '86 Yamaha FJ1200 with a 16" front that was very stable. The problem with that bike was it's weight. It just refused to change directions without a lot of pushing, pulling and moving around in the seat. Got so tired of that I swore off heavy bikes forever. Maybe one day I'll have something with no quirks. The '87 CBR 600 is good on most roads but in fast bumpy corners the old style forks start to complain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The original problem was that no one lists risers/clipons for the '94 Blade anymore - everyone lists '95 and later. Guys in the forum tell me that the '94 and '95 use the same part numbers so that problem is solved.

The idea to raise the bike came up because I have some aftermarket triple trees that would easily allow me to drop the fork tubes and inch or more. I was guessing that would not only raise the front for comfort but might slow the too quick low speed steering. I got some feedback on that but not from anyone who'd actually done it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why not? Racers raise and lower the front of bikes all the time. Some motojournalists aren't happy until they've done some experimentation and reported the results. Honda obviously wanted this bike to steer quickly (16" front wheel when no one else was doing it) and almost everyone agrees the steering is took quick. If/when I do it I'll report back rather than continuing to speculate. Of course, if you have some reasonable argument why it's doomed to fail then I'd be happy to hear it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
1.16" wheel and conventional forks are to save weight.
2.Racers only ever go down not up
3.journalist suck balls. they are writers the ride not riders that write (typicaly)

If you want it higher for comfort the only way is to change the bars if you try do it any other way you will either have a 21" front wheel or chopper forks..
the trick when modifying a bike (especially for comfort) is to change the problem and leave as much of the bike stock as possible!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts