Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is their a way that I can raise the rear height on my 929, I like the way my 600rr feels(ride height) and I want to make my 929 have that same height feel or close to it. I have adusted every suspesion on the rear and have also adjusted the stock shock to full stiffness but it stills does not have that over the handle bar feel.

Any info would be helful

ICE

·
Registered
49 Posts
You could increase the preload on the rear and raise the front forks into the triple clamps, making the rear 'higher' than the front.  By doing such drastic changes to your bike totally changes the way it handles.  In particular, the rear will be harsh and 'hop happy'.  The front will have less travel and might lose some lock-to-lock travel.  Another option is the put spacers between the rear shock and it's mount.  But all of these things have a NEGATIVE effect on your handling.  Your bike was designed in a certain way, and deviating from it is not advised.  Use this advice @ your own risk.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Ohlins has a bit of adjustment on them. You could also get a dogbone link from Dan Kyle. Or get the Ohlins / dogbone link combo and you're set.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
DO NOT lower the front end of your 929. That is not a good thing.

Adding preload may raise it up a bit in the rear, but if your sag was set correctly to begin with, it's gonna mess up how the rear suspension works.

The only right way to raise the rear of the 929 is to buy something, take your pick:

1) A shorter linkage dogbone with stock plates
2) Dan Kyle's new longer dogbone, and side plates
3) Ohlins shock with adjustable ride height.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Oops, yeah, I should'a said aftermarket shock with adjustable ride height.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks for the info---- what about adding some type of hard foam or material to raise my seat up

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Ice : Ok thanks for the info---- what about adding some type of hard foam or material to raise my seat up
Raising the seat will place you more over the clip ons without affecting the way the feel turns in (except for a little more weight over the front)
If you actually rasied the rear ride height it would make the bike turn in quicker, but would be less stable at speed.

·
Registered
276 Posts
in addition to all of the above you can have your rear shock taken apart and add 3 mm worth of shims which should raise your ride height about 3/8'. GP Suspensions does this as well as rework the factory valving to give a more compliant ride. Cost is about $150 I think. Not a perfect thing but nor is it a $700 shock.

And you can have it put back together with a spacer under the spring if you're having to cinch the preload up to the 8th or 9th slot. He also sells HyperCo springs if you wanted to go to a heavier/lighter straight rate spring (another $100).

bw

·
Registered
276 Posts
in addition to all of the above you can have your rear shock taken apart and add 3 mm worth of shims which should raise your ride height about 3/8'. GP Suspensions does this as well as rework the factory valving to give a more compliant ride. Cost is about $150 I think. Not a perfect thing but nor is it a $700 shock.

And you can have it put back together with a spacer under the spring if you're having to cinch the preload up to the 8th or 9th slot. He also sells HyperCo springs if you wanted to go to a heavier/lighter straight rate spring (another $100).

bw

·
Registered
925 Posts
Havind done the Dan Kyle Dogbone and Ohlins adj rear shock, Im not sure what you are trying to accomplish---the over the handlebars effect on the RR doeant have much to do with raising rear ride height--the whole friggin bike was redesigned to get more weight on the front
1) a 929 aint shimmable to increase ride height--a 954 is
2) the DK dogbone doesnt increase rear ride height all that much , I think Dan said a couple of mm---However, you could install a XX dogbone which is 10mm shorter(like LTLs)---that would increase the rear ride height--but may cause other issuses--that need tuning out
3) Like LTL said--dropping forks in a bad idea--the 929 is already a tad challenged in the ground clearnce dept
4) As you increase rear ride height, stability in decreased---you probably wont enjoy your bike wigglinging down a straitaway at 140---ask LTL
5) If you have to have the over the bars feeling--buy an RR

·
Registered
215 Posts
Going to race clip-ons will get you over the front as well but wont change turn in much if at all. You'll have issues with stock body work as well (clearance), but it will get you more on the front wheel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trackho----I already have the 600RR thats why I'm trying to get the over the handle bar feel on the 929.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ice : Trackho----I already have the 600RR thats why I'm trying to get the over the handle bar feel on the 929.
Oh the I guess youll have to wait and get an RCB1000---just remember as you raise the rear---you sacrifice stability, traction---one of the reasons that they made the RR's singarm so damn long---but in light of the new facts, I dont feel sorry for you anymore

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd not want to raise the rear or raise the forks just to change the way it placed me over the bars as this will upset other things. Go the accessory clip on route if you must (but check fairing clearance) and use suspension set up adjustments for what they are meant for.
My 929 runs of the order of 12mm+higher at the rear to compensate for the higher ride height I get with stiffer fork springs.
This comes from (a) fitment of the internal washer under the valve assembly inside the shock supplied by GP suspension as a part of their revalve kit (as mentioned by Bushrod), and (b) use of a 1.80/55 tyre which lifts the rear about 4mm more.
Works very well, the bike turns and steers on the button, is dead stable and has better clearance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts