Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am a new member so pardon my ignorance. I sent Abtech a message about ram air and wanted to get all of your opinions also. I have a '03 954 and I am considering adding ram air. Does anyone make premade scoops? Are there HP gains to be had? Has anyone dyno'd a 954 before and after adding ram air? Any info would be a big help. Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
hey abtech,
so what does work?? i wanna know! plus let me know where i can get the motul 5100 oil for a decent price,like internet or mail order???

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Look in the archives from the old site. I spent about 100 hours developing a system that did work and believe me, if you don't have a working knowledge of fiberglass work, exponential horn flow and lot's of time (and a decent amount of money), you will be disappointed.

Try StreetandComp.com for the Motul. Call and ask for Dan Bowen and mention .org

·
Registered
193 Posts
i'm right down the road from hardracing. They quit making the ram air because the molding company wanted to charge a butt-load to redo the molds or something. I've never heard him talking about the airbox.........i'll ask him about that today if i can get down there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
larddog954 : Hi everyone.  I am a new member so pardon my ignorance.  I sent Abtech a message about ram air and wanted to get all of your opinions also.  I have a '03 954 and I am considering adding ram air.  Does anyone make premade scoops?  Are there HP gains to be had?  Has anyone dyno'd a 954 before and after adding ram air?  Any info would be a big help.  Thanks.
What about these people. They are international but they seem to have something that work. Ram-Air and CAI.

http://www.motopower.co.uk/Products/products.php?catid=12

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm curious, has anyone tried removing the snorkles, and just letting the engine draw the air into the box naturally?

Those snorkles look pretty small at the opening....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hot bodies racing has one it just came out this week a friend of mine just put it on his bike we are supposed to ride tomorrow I will let you know it looks good he says and supposedly performs well. website is boxrair.com,not on site yet but it is available.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Is anyone listening to abtech? He has been down this road - save yourself some time and money and do a search on the old forum. Not trying to be a dick, but I think the voice of experience is worth listening to

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't get me wrong abtech knows quite a bit, but he is quite capable of being wrong.  I know for a fact that it is possible to
install ram air with noticable results, a buddy of mine has a 929 and i rode it before and after the ram air install, and yes i noticed a difference.  A local machinist made the system and he is making me a set. I will try to get some info from him so that others can benefit from his system.  He charges $150 for the set.  Wanna buy one abtech??

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
fusion, don't get ME wrong. I don't know abtech personally, but from what I've read of his posts, he seems to be quite knowledgeable in the ways of m/c engines. I would love to see your results posted here on the forum - seriously! The question is, is what your local machinist fabricating true ram air, or a semblance thereof?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Bacchus : fusion, don't get ME wrong.  I don't know abtech personally, but from what I've read of his posts, he seems to be quite knowledgeable in the ways of m/c engines.  I would love to see your results posted here on the forum - seriously!  The question is, is what your local machinist fabricating true ram air, or a semblance thereof?
Plus abtech takes his bike to the track to see if the mods have resulted in a faster bike and lap times, not just a seat of the pants type dyno which most of use

·
Registered
215 Posts
Larddog, If your talking about adding ram air to race bodywork you can get a brief discription of what I did here, scroll down to bottom. My bike is definately stronger than last season but I have also added a full Hindle since then.

Ninefiftyfour, I ran w/o the snorkels last season w/o any notice change in performance from stock.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
If someone had actually taken the time (and my advice) to read in the archives, they would have known what that funny box shaped hole in the nose of my bike (pictured in my avatar) was all about. I said that it DID make a difference and have some 50 plus hours on track testing and tuning the system (along with the 100 or so hours of design and contruction) to prove it.

What most people don't understand is that it is quite impossible to see any real effect while sitting on a dyno unless you use a compressor driven attached air ram that can be calibrated to duplicate air pressure at speed. If I had to guess, I would say that the total HP gain was in the 4 to 5 area, but very consistent once you get above 80 mph or so. The only real empirical data was the trap speeds which were between 1 and 3 mph higher with the ram system on the front straight at Grattan.

If you read through the archive material, you will see that I did quite a bit of work on sealing and isolating the airbox from engine heat. The whole reason behind the project was to get some additional power without any internal engine work. I wanted to keep the motor entirely stock except for external mods.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
fusion929rr : Don't get me wrong abtech knows quite a bit, but he is quite capable of being wrong.  I know for a fact that it is possible to
install ram air with noticable results, a buddy of mine has a 929 and i rode it before and after the ram air install, and yes i noticed a difference.  A local machinist made the system and he is making me a set. I will try to get some info from him so that others can benefit from his system.  He charges $150 for the set.  Wanna buy one abtech??
Do you want to buy one that works?

1 - 20 of 135 Posts