Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1995 cbr 900rr with a two brothers slip on exhaust and a k&n. I was wondering what could help me go faster in the quarter, I dont know much about aftermarket stuff so any ideas?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Your trap speeds are decent, what are your 60ft times and 1/8mile. These will tell you about your launching. Launching is key !!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
60 fts are 1.933,1.977,2.023
8th mile are 7.569,7.575,7.517,7.493
And ive raced before and the best is 11.5 at 122
last time i was around 11.62 at 118

·
Registered
19 Posts
i run a 2003 cbr 954rr, my best is 11.4 but im also 280lb rider. one thing that helps is strapping the front end down with a lowering strap, i also lowered the rear end as well. i am currently building a wheelie bar, that should take me down below 10.99.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Gearing also. Is yours stock? My best on my 2001 GSXR 600 was 11.01 @ 122. My best on my 2005 GSXR 1000 was 10.41 @ 141. I have not run the 954 yet, and I am no drag racer. But as stated above, it is all in the launch on a bike.

·
Registered
161 Posts
60 fts are 1.933,1.977,2.023
8th mile are 7.569,7.575,7.517,7.493
And ive raced before and the best is 11.5 at 122
last time i was around 11.62 at 118
Your 60ft and 1/8th is whats killing you. We go to an 1/8th mile track near me to practice launching, my friend on a 636 Ninja is running 7.59 in the 1/8th, my best so far is 7.24 but I can't seem to get a decent launch to save my butt.

Best thing to do is get someone to video tape your launches and then you can see where you need improvement. My personal preference is one foot under the shifter, leaning all the way ontop of the tank, reving to 7k and feathering the clutch to not pull a wheelie, this allows my RPMs to not drop (basically not bogging the bike down on launch). Everyone has a preference, once you find yours you'll see your times drop big time.

I use to drag race my Cobra (hence the name) and first time out I ran a 13.1 in the 1/4, after 2 days in a row of running and 21 launches I was at a 12.2 @ 118 on street tires. The key is all in the launch.

Also don't forget your suspension setup, stiffen the front end rebound to max and max out the rear end compression, this should help with the front end coming up. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
how much of this abuse will a clutch take,i want to practice my launches but i worry about burning out the clutch becouse of the cost of a new one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
how much of this abuse will a clutch take,i want to practice my launches but i worry about burning out the clutch becouse of the cost of a new one.
Honestly clutches are cheap. You don't want to be feathering the thing for an 1/8th mile. It is a delicate balance. But a 900RR is not a high horsepower bike, so you should be able to feed the clutch out for only a short time and go WFO without much problem.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I didn't mean feather it for the entire 1/8th, I mainly meant just on the launch. Basically reving to 7k or higher (depending on how bad the bike bogs, if bogs at 7 then try 8 and so on) letting the clutch out to where it barely starts to grab, waiting for the green and BAM you let out the clutch and apply more throttle, this is where there is a fine balance here. You only feather the clutch till it is fully released and you are not pulling a wheelie. You basically want to let out the clutch out as much as possible while keeping the bike under control.

Next is the shifting, most people think that redline is the best place to shift, this is by far the most misconception. If you have not dynoed your bike find out if anyone has one like yours and see where the power drops off. You basically want to shift when then power curve starts to fall off after the max peak, this will allow you to shift and then your bike will be in the max powerband for the next gear.

Also if you want to shave off a couple 1/10ths you can try power shifting, this is holding the trottle fully open and just flicking the clutch and shifting. There are many techniques to shaving off time but the best is still the launch.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
not sure how the 900 compares with a 954 but SilverBullet uses stock plates with Barnett HD springs and he says they haven't failed him yet and look as good as new when he takes them out. and after seeing his times and some videos he's no slouch on the strip.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright well what gearing should i go with. And im running stock heigth and its not stretched. Im wanting to put nitrous on it but dont know where to get the parts.

·
Registered
554 Posts
+1 on the stock plates, fibers and barnett springs. If you are overly concerned about buying clutches, dragracing probably isnt the hobby for you. It uses clutches, trust me. As for going faster, your 60 ft. times leave alot of room for improvement (I'm not ragging ya, just making an observation). Improving 60 ft. times is the best, cheapest way to go faster. It doesn't cost you anything, just some practice. Gear it and you should be able to do some mid to high 1.60's with no problem (with ALOT of practice). After you get your launch down, THEN go and look into making the bike faster. Good luck!

·
Registered
946 Posts
i know this is not what you want to hear but "use a different bike" The 900RR is possibly (aside form ducatis) the one of the least suited bikes for drag racing. Use a road race bike for road racing use a busa, zx14, GS1100 etc for drag racing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
launch is key- get those 60's down to the 1.7 area- it will make a diffence on the big end even more so than just the time off the 60 foot.

You can also powershift to grab a few tenths. put upward pressure on the shifter and then just pop the clutch in and out when you're ready to shift. don't let off the gas-that is the important thing.( don't do this from 1st to 2nd) Some have different ways of shifting but this is what worked well for me in the 1/4.

·
Registered
554 Posts
i know this is not what you want to hear but "use a different bike" The 900RR is possibly (aside form ducatis) the one of the least suited bikes for drag racing. Use a road race bike for road racing use a busa, zx14, GS1100 etc for drag racing.
In stock form, yes I would totally agree with you. Busas are a mile long and heavy as a tank, no wonder they are easy to launch. Sitting on a 14 is like sitting on a cruiser, and also heavy as a tank.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts