Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I'm writing this post as somewhat of an introduction and tell the story about my recently obtained 2001 CBR929. In this post I will try to explain quite a few mechanical problems and a handful of electrical problems I had to troubleshoot and fix on this bike, but a little back story first!

I work for a company that builds CNC machines and retrofits manual machines with CNC controls along with service work for all sorts of automation. One day, almost a year ago, I went on a service call to a plant that makes cinder blocks. On the way out of the shop I had noticed a bike sitting in the back of one of the rooms where they store pallets of block to dry. The bike was covered in dust and I couldn't really make out what exactly it was. Later, I found out that is was the shop's foreman owned the bike and that he had ridden it to work one day and it never started again after he got there. Fast forward to almost exactly a month ago, I decided I wanted a project and something I could take to ride on track days. After a ton of looking around at different used 600s and an assortment of other options, I remembered this dust covered bike sitting in a dark corner of a cinder block plant.

The next day, I got permission from the shop foreman if I could come by and take a closer look at his bike. When I got there he had it hooked up to a battery tender and tried to start it. The bike would turn over but the fuel pump wouldn't prime, the left side of the tank was dented, fairings on both sides were scratched, the offsets were loose, the tail light was hanging by its wires, clutch and brake levers were torn up, and the odometer read just over 34,000 miles, it also didnt have a title. Now, I was looking for a project, but I didn't really know what to expect once I got into fixing it.

That night I debated whether or not to go ahead and buy it or to look for something in better shape. I called a friend that works for the local sheriffs office and asked them to run the VIN, which came up clean. Once I knew the VIN was clean I decided to make an offer. The owner wanted $1,500 but I talked him down to $1,100. Looking back, I'm not really sure who got the better end of that deal, although I don't regret the purchase.

I'll explain why the bike is nicknamed Ratty. Im sure most of you would assume its because the bike is a pile of junk, but not quite. When I went to go pick up the bike, the owner had blown the dust off with compressed air. I noticed someone had written “Ratty” on the seat where it had been covered in dust. The oils from their finger had stained the letters into the seat. Ratty was the shop foreman's nickname, so the bike will carry the nickname on.

The following section will be my experience in getting Ratty running again. My major concern at this point was trying to get the bike started. I figured as long as it had a strong engine, then it would be worth putting the work and money into getting it back on the street, otherwise I would just part it out.

Problem #1- No Prime on the Fuel Pump

First step in diagnosing this problem was to test the fuel pump. I pulled the tank off and removed the fuel pump, gave it 12v from the battery of my SV650 and it was fine.

From there I went through the wiring diagram. Tested the continuity of the kill switch, checked the fuses, pulled the fuel cut relay, and engine stop relay. Everything was fine on that end. Figured neutral switch was fine as the neutral light was working.

Finally I found the Bank angle sensory and found that it was broken. I decided to just bypass the bank angle sensor temporarily by tying the ground and +12v lead together. Still no prime.

Did some poking around online and found mention of a coveted pink wire from the ignition to the ECU, so I checked voltage and got 12V. There is supposed to be a zenner diode in the ignition which drops the 12V to 9V. If the ECU doesn't read the correct voltage then the fuel pump will not prime (I assume the ECU doesn't start at all but I'm not sure). I pulled the pin from the ignition side of the connector that should have supplied 12V and threaded in spare wire then hooked it up to a 9V battery (Positive side to the connector, negative to ground/frame). Sure enough the fuel pump primed happily.

All of this was over the course of nearly a weeks worth of tinkering/reading/researching after work. This was not exactly a quick process.(If anyone needs more specific details of how to troubleshoot these components please feel free to ask). You can wire in a 12V to 9V converter if you don't want to pay for a factory ignition. I found out shortly after doing so that the gas cap wasn't sealing properly, so I had my friends at our local motorcycle dealership order me a new ignition assembly, which includes the gas cap, and rear seat lock.

Problem #2- Rancid Gas

Ratty had been sitting for over two years and the gas that had been sitting in the tank smelled like varnish and I could see a glob of orangish gunk in the bottom. I ended up draining everything I could while the tank was off and then wiped all of the funky junk out from where the fuel pump mounts in the underside. Definitely didn't want any of that going through the injectors or into the motor. I also went ahead and replaced the fuel filter.

First start!

After reassembling the tank and pump along with the ignition, I got the bike to successfully start and it ran a little bit rough. At the time I figured it was just the spark plugs. Despite this, I let my excitement get the better of me and threw the front and bottom fairings then rode it down the street, maybe less than a mile from the shop. It started acting up, miss firing, and giving off dark exhaust smoke. Additionally, I noticed the forks were leaking.

Problem #3- Bad Spark Plugs & Flooded Intake

After Ratty started coughing up black smoke, I figured it was likely just bad spark plugs. Removed the tank and took the radiator off the mounting brackets in an attempt to make my life easier. It was an absolute PAIN to change these spark plugs without the proper OEM wrench, but I managed. The Plugs barely had any electrode left, further reinforcing my theory. Once I got them back in, my boss actually noticed that one of the butterfly valves at the top of the intake had gas filling up over it.

This one kind of confused me to be honest. The 2001s are fuel injected. My guess was that the injector on that port of the intake had broken apart. So, off goes the fuel rail. I had my boss prime the bike while I held the injectors in place so they didn't fly off. Nothing, no leaks.

It took me about two days of going through the manual and looking through its diagrams to notice that the fuel pressure regulators vacuum lines insert at basically the same level as to where the gas had filled to. Theory number 2, the FPR has gone out. I pulled the vacuum line off of the regulator and immediately saw gas drip out. I set a bottle underneath the regulator and primed it again. It immediately spat gas out. Called my friends at the dealership and got another on order. Threw it on along with new vacuum lines and a seal kit for the injectors.

Hurry up and Wait!

While waiting on the parts to come in, I replaced the torn up and rusty offsets, got a new battery, test fit some new bars (the left side of the original set was bent), then sanded and polished the frame.

Second Start!

Once I got the new parts in and installed everything, tested for leaks ect, it was time for a second start! Ratty Started up beautifully and sounded great. I had not realized that she was running so roughly before until I heard it run with a new regulator and plugs.

Problem #4- 12V Charge From the Tank??

So, luckily on the second start, my boss was nearby. He saw the tank arching to the frame. From my side I couldnt see it. He ran over and told me to cut the bike off. We got a meter out and sure enough, the tank was reading 12V from the tank. Turns out the ground wire from the fuel pump had come loose. I actually made my first post a few days ago about this. At that point I was exhausted by the aspect of the fuel pump having gone bad or something. I really wanted someone to tell me that it was normal.... but I knew it wasn't. A few people replied, telling me to check the ground. This is really a great community, lots of helpful people around, I've read a lot of posts as I've been working on Ratty.

Off with the Forks!

At this point, I felt comfortable spending the money to get the forks sealed. I know its possible to do it without special tools, but a mechanic owed me a favor. I'm currently waiting on them to be finished. I've been cleaning parts and repainting a few things such as the upper triple clamp.

Future Plans

The main goal for Ratty is to be a track bike. I still want it to be street legal, so I've got to figure out a new tail light, turn signals, maybe replace the mirrors. I'm going through the Vermont DMV process right now to get a new title figured out. I have also noticed quite a few mentions that the 929's are prone to speed wobbles, so I might invest in a steering damper of some sort.

Thank you for reading!

If anyone has suggestions for anything else I need to check through on this bike please let me know. Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have. I also want to thank my friends at Great Western Motorcycles for all the help finding the right parts and my boss Randy, who is a mechanical and electrical genius for pointing me in the right direction and letting me work on Ratty at the shop after hours. This forum has also been a massive help. I read through many posts that had similar problems, great community of knowledgeable people. Hopefully this will help or entertain someone out there! Ill try to keep this thread updated with the project.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome work, i have a question. Im in the same boat. Just got the bike, no prime no spark. Bad tip and possibly bad zenner. Question is. The aftermarket igntion gas cap key combo? I understand these dont have the diode. Were u able to just install a reducer in the aftermarket ignition switch?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome work, i have a question. Im in the same boat. Just got the bike, no prime no spark. Bad tip and possibly bad zenner. Question is. The aftermarket igntion gas cap key combo? I understand these dont have the diode. Were u able to just install a reducer in the aftermarket ignition switch?
Before you go about wiring in any kind of reducer or converter, make sure to read the voltage from the connector to make sure that’s actually your problem. Take the positive side of your meter and put it in the connector on the pin for the pink wire. The negative side of the meter to the frame or negative terminal on your battery. This should read 9V DC.
If it’s reading 12V, then you need to either replace the ignition or wire a converter in line to that signal wire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and welcome.

Great introduction and great write-up of your acquisition. My knowledge is limited to very basics, so I'm unable to assist your problems. I'm sure the right people will chime in during the day!(y)
Thanks man! Currently the bike runs and starts flawlessly hasn’t been on another test ride, still waiting in the forks, but unless another issue arrives I think I’m in good shape!
(You will only read voltage from this wire when the ignition is on and the kill switch is off)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Before you go about wiring in any kind of reducer or converter, make sure to read the voltage from the connector to make sure that’s actually your problem. Take the positive side of your meter and put it in the connector on the pin for the pink wire. The negative side of the meter to the frame or negative terminal on your battery. This should read 9V DC.
If it’s reading 12V, then you need to either replace the ignition or wire a converter in line to that signal wire.
My problem right now is no power at the pink

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My problem right now is no power at the pink
Okay, if you don’t have any voltage at the link wire while the ignition is on and kill switch is off, then you likely have a bad ignition. Do you have voltage anywhere else in the connector? The knock off ignitions will send 12V, the OEM ignition will send 9V. If you’re not getting any voltage, I would definitely double check the rest of the connector.
If you get readings on other pins, trace the link wire back to the ignition and see if it has a solid connection. If none of the other pins read out, I would double check that you have a good ground on the negative side of your meter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, if you don’t have any voltage at the link wire while the ignition is on and kill switch is off, then you likely have a bad ignition. Do you have voltage anywhere else in the connector? The knock off ignitions will send 12V, the OEM ignition will send 9V. If you’re not getting any voltage, I would definitely double check the rest of the connector.
If you get readings on other pins, trace the link wire back to the ignition and see if it has a solid connection. If none of the other pins read out, I would double check that you have a good ground on the negative side of your meter.
I’ll try to put together a quick video on the whole process of diagnosing and fixing this connection after work today. Seems like it’s a pretty common problem that a lot of people are having trouble fixing

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you got an OEM ignition switch ,or a Chinese knockoff
As best as i know no its not. Guy i got it from said he had been riding it then described the classic regulator rectifier issue, jumped it a couple times then stopped priming. Pulling the ignition afterwork and checking it out further. Do you know if anyone has luck with chinese ignition and adding a diode?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cant thank you guys enough
So the guy that I had bought mine from installed an aftermarket ignition. He actually bought two, the first one read 12V from the pink wire, however, I grabbed the second one that was in a pile of spare parts that he game me when I bought the bike. I played around with the ignition that read 0v along with the same voltage converter I used previosly. I got the bike to run with that setup. Im thinking someone changed the ignition on ya man. Ill try to throw together some clips of how I did it tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright, so I'm writing this post as somewhat of an introduction and tell the story about my recently obtained 2001 CBR929. In this post I will try to explain quite a few mechanical problems and a handful of electrical problems I had to troubleshoot and fix on this bike, but a little back story first!

I work for a company that builds CNC machines and retrofits manual machines with CNC controls along with service work for all sorts of automation. One day, almost a year ago, I went on a service call to a plant that makes cinder blocks. On the way out of the shop I had noticed a bike sitting in the back of one of the rooms where they store pallets of block to dry. The bike was covered in dust and I couldn't really make out what exactly it was. Later, I found out that is was the shop's foreman owned the bike and that he had ridden it to work one day and it never started again after he got there. Fast forward to almost exactly a month ago, I decided I wanted a project and something I could take to ride on track days. After a ton of looking around at different used 600s and an assortment of other options, I remembered this dust covered bike sitting in a dark corner of a cinder block plant.

The next day, I got permission from the shop foreman if I could come by and take a closer look at his bike. When I got there he had it hooked up to a battery tender and tried to start it. The bike would turn over but the fuel pump wouldn't prime, the left side of the tank was dented, fairings on both sides were scratched, the offsets were loose, the tail light was hanging by its wires, clutch and brake levers were torn up, and the odometer read just over 34,000 miles, it also didnt have a title. Now, I was looking for a project, but I didn't really know what to expect once I got into fixing it.

That night I debated whether or not to go ahead and buy it or to look for something in better shape. I called a friend that works for the local sheriffs office and asked them to run the VIN, which came up clean. Once I knew the VIN was clean I decided to make an offer. The owner wanted $1,500 but I talked him down to $1,100. Looking back, I'm not really sure who got the better end of that deal, although I don't regret the purchase.

I'll explain why the bike is nicknamed Ratty. Im sure most of you would assume its because the bike is a pile of junk, but not quite. When I went to go pick up the bike, the owner had blown the dust off with compressed air. I noticed someone had written “Ratty” on the seat where it had been covered in dust. The oils from their finger had stained the letters into the seat. Ratty was the shop foreman's nickname, so the bike will carry the nickname on.

View attachment 108466

The following section will be my experience in getting Ratty running again. My major concern at this point was trying to get the bike started. I figured as long as it had a strong engine, then it would be worth putting the work and money into getting it back on the street, otherwise I would just part it out.

Problem #1- No Prime on the Fuel Pump

First step in diagnosing this problem was to test the fuel pump. I pulled the tank off and removed the fuel pump, gave it 12v from the battery of my SV650 and it was fine.

From there I went through the wiring diagram. Tested the continuity of the kill switch, checked the fuses, pulled the fuel cut relay, and engine stop relay. Everything was fine on that end. Figured neutral switch was fine as the neutral light was working.

Finally I found the Bank angle sensory and found that it was broken. I decided to just bypass the bank angle sensor temporarily by tying the ground and +12v lead together. Still no prime.

Did some poking around online and found mention of a coveted pink wire from the ignition to the ECU, so I checked voltage and got 12V. There is supposed to be a zenner diode in the ignition which drops the 12V to 9V. If the ECU doesn't read the correct voltage then the fuel pump will not prime (I assume the ECU doesn't start at all but I'm not sure). I pulled the pin from the ignition side of the connector that should have supplied 12V and threaded in spare wire then hooked it up to a 9V battery (Positive side to the connector, negative to ground/frame). Sure enough the fuel pump primed happily.

All of this was over the course of nearly a weeks worth of tinkering/reading/researching after work. This was not exactly a quick process.(If anyone needs more specific details of how to troubleshoot these components please feel free to ask). You can wire in a 12V to 9V converter if you don't want to pay for a factory ignition. I found out shortly after doing so that the gas cap wasn't sealing properly, so I had my friends at our local motorcycle dealership order me a new ignition assembly, which includes the gas cap, and rear seat lock.

Problem #2- Rancid Gas

Ratty had been sitting for over two years and the gas that had been sitting in the tank smelled like varnish and I could see a glob of orangish gunk in the bottom. I ended up draining everything I could while the tank was off and then wiped all of the funky junk out from where the fuel pump mounts in the underside. Definitely didn't want any of that going through the injectors or into the motor. I also went ahead and replaced the fuel filter.

First start!

After reassembling the tank and pump along with the ignition, I got the bike to successfully start and it ran a little bit rough. At the time I figured it was just the spark plugs. Despite this, I let my excitement get the better of me and threw the front and bottom fairings then rode it down the street, maybe less than a mile from the shop. It started acting up, miss firing, and giving off dark exhaust smoke. Additionally, I noticed the forks were leaking.
View attachment 108468

Problem #3- Bad Spark Plugs & Flooded Intake

After Ratty started coughing up black smoke, I figured it was likely just bad spark plugs. Removed the tank and took the radiator off the mounting brackets in an attempt to make my life easier. It was an absolute PAIN to change these spark plugs without the proper OEM wrench, but I managed. The Plugs barely had any electrode left, further reinforcing my theory. Once I got them back in, my boss actually noticed that one of the butterfly valves at the top of the intake had gas filling up over it.

View attachment 108467

This one kind of confused me to be honest. The 2001s are fuel injected. My guess was that the injector on that port of the intake had broken apart. So, off goes the fuel rail. I had my boss prime the bike while I held the injectors in place so they didn't fly off. Nothing, no leaks.

It took me about two days of going through the manual and looking through its diagrams to notice that the fuel pressure regulators vacuum lines insert at basically the same level as to where the gas had filled to. Theory number 2, the FPR has gone out. I pulled the vacuum line off of the regulator and immediately saw gas drip out. I set a bottle underneath the regulator and primed it again. It immediately spat gas out. Called my friends at the dealership and got another on order. Threw it on along with new vacuum lines and a seal kit for the injectors.

Hurry up and Wait!

While waiting on the parts to come in, I replaced the torn up and rusty offsets, got a new battery, test fit some new bars (the left side of the original set was bent), then sanded and polished the frame.

Second Start!

Once I got the new parts in and installed everything, tested for leaks ect, it was time for a second start! Ratty Started up beautifully and sounded great. I had not realized that she was running so roughly before until I heard it run with a new regulator and plugs.

Problem #4- 12V Charge From the Tank??

So, luckily on the second start, my boss was nearby. He saw the tank arching to the frame. From my side I couldnt see it. He ran over and told me to cut the bike off. We got a meter out and sure enough, the tank was reading 12V from the tank. Turns out the ground wire from the fuel pump had come loose. I actually made my first post a few days ago about this. At that point I was exhausted by the aspect of the fuel pump having gone bad or something. I really wanted someone to tell me that it was normal.... but I knew it wasn't. A few people replied, telling me to check the ground. This is really a great community, lots of helpful people around, I've read a lot of posts as I've been working on Ratty.

Off with the Forks!

At this point, I felt comfortable spending the money to get the forks sealed. I know its possible to do it without special tools, but a mechanic owed me a favor. I'm currently waiting on them to be finished. I've been cleaning parts and repainting a few things such as the upper triple clamp.
View attachment 108469

Future Plans

The main goal for Ratty is to be a track bike. I still want it to be street legal, so I've got to figure out a new tail light, turn signals, maybe replace the mirrors. I'm going through the Vermont DMV process right now to get a new title figured out. I have also noticed quite a few mentions that the 929's are prone to speed wobbles, so I might invest in a steering damper of some sort.

Thank you for reading!

If anyone has suggestions for anything else I need to check through on this bike please let me know. Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have. I also want to thank my friends at Great Western Motorcycles for all the help finding the right parts and my boss Randy, who is a mechanical and electrical genius for pointing me in the right direction and letting me work on Ratty at the shop after hours. This forum has also been a massive help. I read through many posts that had similar problems, great community of knowledgeable people. Hopefully this will help or entertain someone out there! Ill try to keep this thread updated with the project.
Hi ,i have a hiss system cbr929rr ecu of the bike is fried now i bought a non hiss ecu, how can i fit a non hiss ecu in my hiss system wiring ? Help to fix the problem
Gas Font Bumper Auto part Metal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts