Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2 friends that are teaching English in Japan and they have their own little listing "rant" board where they can post stories and rants and other junk that other foreign teachers can read. This one that they shared with me is about a celebrity entertainer called Razor Ramon Hard Gay.

http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher86.html

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
That shit is hilarious.

My sister is in Japan doing the same thing. Talked to her on the phone last night for about an hour. She's been there for almost 2 years and still has trouble adjusting. Japan is very different. I hope I can go there sometime soon. THis is her blog:

http://homepage.mac.com/carmenjoyking/Writing

Not as funny as hard gay... more like artsy PoliSci grad ramblings but a good time-waster.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We visited my friends last year at this time. They are on their second year with the JETS program. I only spent 3 weeks there and I can safely say that even if you discounted ALL the wierd sexual stuff they do, they are still a totally bizarre culture. I would not choose to travel there again by the way. It's a tough place to travel to. If you are going to go, make sure you go with some one that knows there way around. I have been to plenty of 3rd world countries where I didn't speak any of the language at it was SO much easier to get around in than Japan. It's just a f*cked up place all together.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
???

I love going to Japan. I think I've been there 4 times now. Never had a problem getting around, and found the people very helpful when lost in say the train system. Traveled by myself to see things like Achiabara, the motorcycle district and the old Tokyo market districts.

Edit: I would not want to travel there on my own dime though. PRICEY place.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
luvtolean said:
???

I love going to Japan. I think I've been there 4 times now. Never had a problem getting around, and found the people very helpful when lost in say the train system. Traveled by myself to see things like Achiabara, the motorcycle district and the old Tokyo market districts.

Edit: I would not want to travel there on my own dime though. PRICEY place.
Maybe because I was doing the "backpacking" tour and going as cheap as possible made it more difficult. It was all my cash but things were so backward that it made getting around pretty difficult. In 3rd world countries everything is done out of necessity so things are very logical in that regard. You know that something is going to be done a certain way because it's cheapest. In Japan everything is done in a manner that follows almost no logic. It's what is pretty or fun or follows a cultural mannerism that I'm not familiar with. Nothing was intuitive and therefore everything was a struggle. The problem with struggling in a foreign country is you pay more money for not knowing how things work.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
My sister was saying that they have a very specific, precise Japanese way of doing everything... And when you don't do things their way they can make you feel like a total freak. She was driving her car while she talked to me, and she actually had to put the phone down for a bit while she passed by some construction workers... you know, otherwise she'd be reported for talking on the phone while driving.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Shrub your buddy's blog is fucking hilarious. I've been reading it all morning.

Here's a choice clipping:

"What in the world did you just do?" I ask.
"Kancho." He says nonchalantly, as if it's the most natural thing in the world to try and ram your fingers up someone's ass.
"Uh-huh. If you ever try that again, I will give you the biggest kancho in the history of Japan," I say. "General Tojo will feel it 60 years ago, and call his planes back before they get to Pearl Harbor. Got it?"
"Got it." I expect not to have anymore kancho problems for a while.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
phobiaphobe said:
Shrub your buddy's blog is fucking hilarious. I've been reading it all morning.

Here's a choice clipping:
It's not his blog, just another JETS teacher but he reads the stuff regularly and sends me some. I have seen the Kancho one. Pretty strange. My buddy has actually witnessed some one getting "kancho'd" by a complete stranger.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
That shit is hilarious.

My sister is in Japan doing the same thing. Talked to her on the phone last night for about an hour. She's been there for almost 2 years and still has trouble adjusting. Japan is very different. I hope I can go there sometime soon. THis is her blog:

http://homepage.mac.com/carmenjoyking/Writing

Not as funny as hard gay... more like artsy PoliSci grad ramblings but a good time-waster.
Is this the sister that was bitten by the mOOse?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
What the hell? Which story has "Kancho"? Never heard of it.

Guess I'll make sure I don't wear shorts in Japan! :rotfl:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
WetShrub said:
Maybe because I was doing the "backpacking" tour and going as cheap as possible made it more difficult. [snip]The problem with struggling in a foreign country is you pay more money for not knowing how things work.
Yeah, for sure. Almost all of my international travel is on business, so I put little thought into costs. If I'm doing touristy stuff I pay for it all, but if I get hopelessly lost and play the trump card, find a taxi and give them the card of my hotel which I ALWAYS carry, I'll sometimes let the company pick that up.

Not worrying about money takes a bunch of stress out of the equation. I've also traveled enough now that the unsettling feeling of being lost in a foreign land doesn't bother me too much anymore.

I find Japan far easier than say mainland China.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
luvtolean said:
I find Japan far easier than say mainland China.
Never been to China but I did hear that was a tough place to travel through too. I actually heard people say that even experienced travelers should have a guide.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
China is tough. When I did the Great Wall and Ming tombs, I hired a driver. He spoke no english. He'd stop, I'd get out, explore for a while, and he'd drive again. A couple times I couldn't figure out why he'd stopped, it just looked like an empty field. Had to walk around a bit. :rotfl:

I've explored around Tianjin some and Shenzhen. I was told there are several areas foreigners need to stay out of in the evening, so I usually keep to my room, or at least pretty close to the hotel, at night unless I'm out with business associates. I always feel like I'm being watched there, and often it's by men with machine guns. Not fun.

I also know several guys, mostly middle aged divorcees, that absolutely love mainland China. But I think you can probably imagine why...

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
luvtolean said:
I also know several guys, mostly middle aged divorcees, that absolutely love mainland China. But I think you can probably imagine why...
15 year old hookers? :thumbd:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
:nod: :crap:

Man, this one is hilarious.

Kancho Confessionals

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I can't stop reading it. what a trip.

Can't wait till i go to thailand, cambodia (it's a holiday...), loas (gotta becareful there), japan, and vietnam.

I'm planning on making thailand my base for my travels. I have a friend in tokyo with a deresricted 1krr he is going to let me use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts