Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all....Once again I am having problems with my 03 RC51. Last time it was the lean angle sensor had broken loose and was cutting off the engine. This time my bike seems to sputter or hiccup when accelerating around 6000 to 7000 rpms. If I just take it easy and putt along the bike is fine but when I open it up it does this. I can handle changing the plugs if thats what it might be,,,,no clue here?:idunno:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are there any mods to the bike, like the PAIR system removal? Power commander? Airbox mods? Slipons recently replaced?
Has the bike been dumped?
Did this just start doing it recently, or has it done something similar to this along? There is a flat spot in all RCs somewhere mid-RPM range which seems to be corrected by Power Commanders usually.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No mods,,,bike is all stock. It was dumped over two years ago but ran fine all last year and the begining of this year...just started doing it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
When one plug fouls it makes it harder to ride at low rpm, while you don;t have power it gets smoother as you rev up. It sounds like a fuel problem to me, or electric.
It is hard to tell from what you are telling us but fuel pressure regulators are known to go bad and not being able to provide adequate pressure may make injectors act funny when fuel volume demand increases.
Maybe also something wrong with your wires/coils, either shorting somewhere or cables being broken.
Do you have any error codes or engine light coming on at all?

·
Registered
656 Posts
The computer has an input cable where all sensors feed into it and an output cable that controls the FI, ignition, instrument cluster, fans, etc.
So by being able to read the rpm this means the computer is connected. When you turn the key to on do all lights/leds and readings on the cluster go ON and rpm shoots to rd line and back, hearing the pump priming etc.? If yes computer must be ok and cluster is working.
For the computer not throwing out some error codes I can only think it is something unrelated to computer controls. First you need to isolate if the problem is on one cylinder or both. If the headpipe on one cylinder when starting up and you can still touch it gets hotter than the other the colder one is having the problem, so it most probably is an ignition problem. If both seem to run equal then it is an EFI problem.
From the bike been thrown down the shock could have damaged the coils and it is just showing up now. So check coils and wires and do read the plugs, they should be equally clean/dirty. In fuel management I would suspect the pressure regulator.
It may also be the flapper valve, being damaged from the shock and stuck in the closed position, by increasing the rpm the engine is starving but I would suspect the pressure would drop significantly and the computer would read this as being on top of mt. Everest.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Clean all your electrical contacts as well. I had a similar issue which turned out to be dirty terminals on one of the main ECU plugs. These bikes are getting to the age where things are starting to get a bit dirty or corroded and electrical systems can be sensitive to bad contacts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I changed the plugs....not the problem. I ll try the ecu plugs....seems like the problem is getting worse. I hate this piece of **** bike!!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
If it is the coils, which I doubt, think of replacing them with CBR1000 coils in the boot of the plug. Saves weight and space and people say they perform well.
Find a way to check the fuel pressure regulator. Not an expensive item and easy to replace. Very common fault on these ****** bikes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all....Once again I am having problems with my 03 RC51. Last time it was the lean angle sensor had broken loose and was cutting off the engine. This time my bike seems to sputter or hiccup when accelerating around 6000 to 7000 rpms. If I just take it easy and putt along the bike is fine but when I open it up it does this. I can handle changing the plugs if thats what it might be,,,,no clue here?:idunno:
Hi did you manage to resolve your problem i have the same thing on my bike and i tried everything i bought another sp2 to use as spares and i replaced almost everyting exept the motor to try and resolve that sputtering.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi checking you Post again ,just wondered did you swap the engine and still get the stutter 5-7K rpm , do you have a Power Commander, What type exhaust ,have the valve clearances been done,and Timing, you could check out the Ignition Pulse Gen but you will need a Peak Voltage Adaptor, quite a list I know

·
Registered
4 Posts
No engine has never been opend or changed...im running power commander V with its quick shifter and yoshi 2 in to 1 system... Since i got the bike im rebuilding it and trying to get her running smooth again so im open to any advice thanx

·
Registered
31 Posts
No engine has never been opend or changed...im running power commander V with its quick shifter and yoshi 2 in to 1 system... Since i got the bike im rebuilding it and trying to get her running smooth again so im open to any advice thanx
Found this , a long read I'm afraid, but shows some of the problems, do you run a O2 sensor with Auto tune?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanx ropp i did read through it and i did play with the mapping and i did go and remove the PCV and my problem was not affected at all same sputter between 5000 and 7500 RPM in every gear you can feel it best when you sit in 6th gear at about 5500rpm or even 6000rpm and you open the throttle, she will be dead until about 7800rpm then its like powerband on a 2 stroke she pulls like crazy untill about 275km/h or 10 000rpm.

1. So my next move wil be to change the crank sensor maby it could be there because it puzzles me that its at the same RPMs in any gear 1 through 6.
But thank you i appreciate the feedback i will not quit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts