Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
01-02 were the only changes besides color if I remember right.
went from 54mm to 62mm throttle bodies
swingarm got 16mm longer I think
wheels went from 6 to 5 spoke and are lighter
I hear the trunk is bigger
from one rad fan to two....which everyone removes since it makes it run hotter
ECU

I think that is the major stuff

...windscreen got taller

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
a few more HP also. The '02/'03 steers quicker. The swingarm is probably the most significant change affecting that. The forks have top out springs on the newer gen.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
the 00/01 are stronger motors stock to about 8500 rpm. The 2002/2003 are slightly weaker but peak out better and offer more potential to build.

If given the choice and the money benefit is worth it, definitly get a 2002 or a 2003... The swingarm and chasis changes alone make it a way better bike.

And yeah, I had a bastard 2001 bike, no swingarm spools, what a drag!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More questions..

Can I put a 02 or 03 swing arm on the 00 or 01?

Same goes for the throttle bodies?

I am seriously considering the RC51 that flitzer is wanting to trade me for my 954. I have always wanted an RC.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
ViciousRR : More questions..

Can I put a 02 or 03 swing arm on the 00 or 01?  

Same goes for the throttle bodies?  

I am seriously considering the RC51 that flitzer is wanting to trade me for my 954.  I have always wanted an RC.
The swingarm yes, Thorsten sells a kit to do it. I'm not sure why anyone would change the TB's on the 00-01, they work awesome, and unless your bike is in WSB, I don't think you need the extra HP. Once you get the RC, you will not miss the 954 at all, it's a little down on ponies, but who buys it for that anyway? I bought it out of sheer desire to have one since it came out, and haven't regretted it since, even while passing 954's and 929's on the straights on the track

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wasn't going to change the TB's, it was more if I really could.  I assume the wheels can be swapped without hassles also.    

I had a 98 superhawk before my 954, and I miss the obnoxious grunt and sound it had.  It was great for canyon carving.  
Here is a pic of my old superhawk.  It had a custom ducati silver paint job, aftermarket clutch a break mastercylinders.  Braided lines, and lots of stuff.  It was great!

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
ViciousRR : I wasn't going to change the TB's, it was more if I really could.  I assume the wheels can be swapped without hassles also.    

I had a 98 superhawk before my 954, and I miss the obnoxious grunt and sound it had.  It was great for canyon carving.  
Here is a pic of my old superhawk.  It had a custom ducati silver paint job, aftermarket clutch a break mastercylinders.  Braided lines, and lots of stuff.  It was great!
Yes, the wheels are an easy swap with the nod going to the 2002-2003 wheels being a bit lighter...

·
Registered
3 Posts
heres a noob question, i really want the sato banzai mount exhaust but i have a 2001 :( are the exhausts interchangeable between all years of rc51? im betting on "no"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts