Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look of the rc51 wheels. just wondering if it can be done and how easy would it be to do if It is to swap them over to my 954

·
Registered
226 Posts
rear is a direct swap. you are going to need at least one spacer for the front, possibly an axle, look at the parts fische on bikebandit dot com. that will get you in the right direction. good luck, 6 spoke wheels would look sweet on the 954.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rear is a direct swap. you are going to need at least one spacer for the front, possibly an axle, look at the parts fische on bikebandit dot com. that will get you in the right direction. good luck, 6 spoke wheels would look sweet on the 954.

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I was thinking that they'd look awesome on a 954

·
Registered
51 Posts
you will need to change bearings in rc51 front wheel to 954 bearings then you can use your front wheel spindle,and make a new spacer for l/h side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Layd2rest . . . did you install the RC51 wheels on your 954? How did you fit the front wheel?? 954 axle, 954 wheel bearings . . . what spacers (collars, 3 total) fit to center the wheel? I just picked up a mint low mile 954. The next day, I picked up a set of RC51 SP2 wheels. Love the bike, but I can never like the 3-spoke wheel design on any bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Layd2rest . . . did you install the RC51 wheels on your 954? How did you fit the front wheel?? 954 axle, 954 wheel bearings . . . what spacers (collars, 3 total) fit to center the wheel? I just picked up a mint low mile 954. The next day, I picked up a set of RC51 SP2 wheels. Love the bike, but I can never like the 3-spoke wheel design on any bike.
Unfortunately no I haven't been able to pick up a set of wheels or do the swap, ran into some legal issues And may have to sell the bike as of now to cover them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's what you have to do fit an RC51 SP1 or SP2 front wheel on a 954:

You'll need a distance (center) collar from a 954rr or 1000rr and cut it to match the length from the RC51, 109mm. Dremel to 'cut' the raised portion inside the RC wheel so the collar slides in snuggly. Fit 954 front wheel bearings, dust seals, and collars on left and right. You'll then need two 1mm thick spacers or one 2mm spacer to fit the 954 axle. These spacers will be installed on the brake lever side of the axle. Rider orientation is RIGHT side. Tighten everything to spec, and you are done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's an RC51 SP2 wheel mounted on my 954 . . .

And the rear, which is a direct swap using complete 954 cush hub and rotor (RC51 and late model RR cush hubs and rotors will work also) . . .

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

You'll need a distance (center) collar from a 954rr or 1000rr and cut it to match the length from the RC51, 109mm. Dremel to 'cut' the raised portion inside the RC wheel so the collar slides in snuggly. Fit 954 front wheel bearings, dust seals, and collars on left and right. You'll then need two 1mm thick spacers or one 2mm spacer to fit the 954 axle. These spacers will be installed on the brake lever side of the axle. Rider orientation is RIGHT side. Tighten everything to spec, and you are done.
don't listen to this hocus pocus crap

just kidding man. Great write-up. Very detailed. And then pics to prove it

·
Registered
14 Posts
don't listen to this hocus pocus crap

just kidding man. Great write-up. Very detailed. And then pics to prove it
Here's an addendum to the 'crap' . . . LOL:

You'll need a distance (center) collar from a 954rr or 1000rr and cut it to match the length from the RC51, 109mm. Dremel to 'cut' the raised portion inside the RC wheel so the collar slides in snuggly. Fit 954 front wheel bearings, dust seals, and collars on left and right. You'll then need two 1mm thick spacers fit the 954 axle. These spacers will be installed on both sides of the axle, between the left/right collars and the fork legs. Tighten everything to spec, and you are done.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What exhaust are you running? Great looking bike btw

Here's an RC51 SP2 wheel mounted on my 954 . . .

And the rear, which is a direct swap using complete 954 cush hub and rotor (RC51 and late model RR cush hubs and rotors will work also) . . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello im new here sorry if im doing something wrong or posting ? dont do much of this
im i am trying to fit a rc51 front rim to my 2002 954 i have a 954 axle bearings spacers collar when i try to torque the bolt to spec the wheel doesn't turn just gets stuck i have calipers off just wheel on the forks mounted ? what am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I didn't read the technical stuff above, public wifi slow, but I know on my rc51, the spacers are side specific. Does that apply to your conversion? Did you use a rc51 axle?
Try switching sides with the spacers. Final torque is not much as I recall. 43lbft. as I recall. Oh yeah, axle goes thru from the left side if you didn't already know that. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Also verify your center spacer is the correct length. That pipe in the middle of the hub. In fact it sounds like that may be your problem. I saw it mentioned above in post 7.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks jondog9 for the response i was thinking the center spacer too what would you think would be the right length to be? im using 954 axle and bearings and 954 spacers i read somewhere on here to cut the 954 center spacer the longer spacer to 109mm?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts