Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Electrical problems- Duh, who put the lights out?

Question: am I posting the right way? Just trying to start a thread about electrical/head light problems.

If this is the right place, here goes. Six months ago, after a track day, I re-connected my headlights, and 2 blew, then after testing/switching them around, the 3rd bulb blew.
Got new bulbs (left out low beam bulb) and everything fine for 4 months. Til a few weeks ago. Turned key, no headlights. All bulbs (filaments) intact. Tried replacing bulbs, but no luck. Makes cliking sound at the rear cowl, specifically, the hind-most starter relay.

(May be unrelated, but back in Sept/Oct, 4th gear stopped engaging. Then in November I went down (rear tire spin in 30 degree weather :crap: ), and the odometer/speedometer stopped working.)

Checked out all the wires I could. Regulator rectifier and wires into area in front of battery all looked good. No melted wires.

Stinks to not be able to ride at all. Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts

here is what i would do...

1. check all your connectors, spray them out with contact cleaner and put a anticorrosion greese back in them. This inclues the larger connections aswell, charging system, starter motor, battery, starter relay... alsomake sure your battery is good

2. as your checking doing this to ALL your connectors, keep an eye out for any cuts, rash, exposed wire, brreaks, or any other damage to the connectors and harness. (im thinking theres a broken wire going to your cluster somewhere that resulted from the laydown)

3. CHECK YOUR FUSES AND RELAYS.. seems kind of obvious but you would be surprised with how many bikes i get from owners claiming to have "electrical problems" that turn out to be either fuse or relay related

4. If all is good and things still dont work, bust out the multitester and start testing the critical connections but im guessing the problem is going to be obvious.

When your dealing with phantom problems like this i have found the scientific method to be the best methodology to use. ***ASSUME NOTHING****, only go by the facts that you have proven to be true. and if you have a hunch, find a way to test it...

Hope this helps
-MTX

·
Registered
921 Posts

Good advice Mugen. I also tend to look at the last thing I messed with before the problems came up. I wonder if the bike going down damaged the battery. I would start with that and the fuses, since they are the easiest to rule out. Remember, only swap/check one thing at a time, otherwise you won't know which component was bad!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks. Sorry about not posting for a while. Out of commission after serious skiing accident with lots of broken bones, including shattered spine. I think I'm well enough to at least tinker with electrical problems.
I figured out that my low-beams worked, so either I solve the high-beam problem, OR get an aftermarket headlight wiring harness to bypass and go directly to battery (anyone remember the website that sells those?), OR be happy with just low-beams on my 72,000 mile bike.

·
Registered
921 Posts

I would try and figure out what is wrong. Have you checked your grounds too?

Can you re-list everything that is out? Right now it looks like high beam and odometer/speedometer. Is fourth still giving a problem too? That sounds more like a problem in the tranny, like the dog gears to fourth or a bent shift rod.

Worst case is you fix the transmission and turn it into a track bike!:thumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Where are the grounds?
Re: list of all that is out: high-beams, odometer/speedometer, fourth gear.

I agree on the "dog gears" assessment. Fortunately, I rarely use 4th gear on track or street, so I'll save my money for the next bike.

BTW, I took apart the high-/low-beam housing and found no problems even though the switch used to be finicky (after left-sided accident years ago).
I could try disassembling the starter housing, but wouldn't that be unnecessary since starter-related light problems (wire loose/disconnected) result in no headlights at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
921 Posts

The grounds are wherever the wiring harness are bolted to the motor or frame. Usually a black or green wire. Also the negative battery ground.

If the switch is finicky, then I would imagine there is a problem in there somewhere. Perhaps this is where you are having a problem with the lights altogether, since current flows through the switch to the lights. It is definitely worth a look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts