Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary to retorque 954 head bolts and can it be done whitout removing cams. The head gasket is Wisecos double spring steel gasket.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told that it is not necassery whit the steel head gasket but a second opinnion on this subject won't hurt :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I was told that it is not necassery whit the steel head gasket but a second opinnion on this subject won't hurt :)

Torque then down, then back them all off, then torque them down a final time. They should be fine after that. Run a bottoming tap down to clean the threads first, then blow any debris out of the holes. Lube the threads and heads but don't overboard, you don't want to hydraulically lock the bolts due to oil in the blind holes.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Torque then down, then back them all off, then torque them down a final time. They should be fine after that. Run a bottoming tap down to clean the threads first, then blow any debris out of the holes. Lube the threads and heads but don't overboard, you don't want to hydraulically lock the bolts due to oil in the blind holes.
The threads and bolts were througly cleaned and oiled. Head and block surface was machined and the gasket is Wiseco (Cometic) MLS which shouldn't need retorquing. The motor has about 300 miles on after the rebuild and a been pretty easy whit the revs and throttle and it isn't leaking at the moment. But i have a dyno session friday were it will be revved to 13250 whit full throttle and i'm just concerned will the head gasket hold up or should try to do something to it?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
The threads and bolts were througly cleaned and oiled. Head and block surface was machined and the gasket is Wiseco (Cometic) MLS which shouldn't need retorquing. The motor has about 300 miles on after the rebuild and a been pretty easy whit the revs and throttle and it isn't leaking at the moment. But i have a dyno session friday were it will be revved to 13250 whit full throttle and i'm just concerned will the head gasket hold up or should try to do something to it?

If you're concerned about it then re-torque them, better to spend an hour doing that than having the gasket let go on the dyno.
But I can't see it being a problem if it was installed properly.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're concerned about it then re-torque them, better to spend an hour doing that than having the gasket let go on the dyno.
But I can't see it being a problem if it was installed properly.
I installed the MLS head gasket dry and 100% clean on just machined and througly cleaned surfaces like the instructions on the headgasket package says. The torquing and moments were done according to Hondas own manual. I think i'll stop worrying about it and retorque the head bolts if it starts to show any marks off leakage. Don't wan't to do any unnecassery things right now and wouldn't really wan't to the take cams off. Aren't the head bolts under the cams?
I really don't remember how the head looks whit the valve cover off at the moment????

Thanks, Bladeracer! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts