Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I don't do much work on cars anymore, but I still need a decent floor jack around the garage. I recently donated my heavy duty 3 ton to a racing project, leaving me with an ancient home duty jobbie that has started to bypass and leak... :crap:

So this glossy Sears flyer lands in my mailbox with a $30 off sale on a great looking replacement candidate, and I tool on down there with my Craftsman club card in hand. I get it home, and it seems like a pretty good unit for what I need, right between my old heavy duty and light duty ones that I have now given away. It seems to work pretty well, and I roll it into the corner where the old jacks used to live... :thumb:

Pretty happy with the purchase, I look up the link to pass along the sale info to a friend, and just happen to read the "reviews" section on the website...

Craftsman G615 1.5 ton Jack at Sears.com
(This link times out, so you will have to type "G615" in the search box to read the reviews.)

:rant: This would have been really hand to have read BEFORE I purchased... :rotfl: :rotfl:

Wonder if it's too late to get my old jack back.... :evilaugh:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I just bought a new Craftsman jack about a month ago during a sale.

Craftsman 3 ton Floor Jack
Sears item #00950136000 Mfr. model #50136

Looks like they have it marked down now, as well. I bought it for the same price ($59.99). No reviews on that one so I hope it doesn't have the problems that the other one does. Sears is usually pretty good about taking returns back.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Your link does not work.

FWIW I have had a craftsman floor jack for 3-4 years and no trouble. It is not something I would want to have on a race team or use in a shop everyday but it is a good jeck for around the home garage.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was working, apparently the link timed out...:crap:

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Take it back based on the information on the site ( sheep's fave, BTW ) that indicates it will not suit your needs.

I am not too happy with the last jack I bought from them, but it hasn't failed. Should have splashed out for the one with the NASCAR sticker, I guess. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Lincoln Floor jack for your main

Not the cheapest by a stretch, but best value. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lincoln Floor jack for your main
Not the cheapest by a stretch, but best value. :thumb:
That's what I gave away...great jack, just too big for my current garage needs... :rotfl:

:sless: Based on those reviews, I'm not too sure I'd be crawling under a car with that thing holding it up!
I never do that anyway, but it's still a bit scary.... :hmm:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
That's what I gave away...great jack, just too big for my current garage needs... :rotfl:

I never do that anyway, but it's still a bit scary.... :hmm:
I purchased a set of "Automotive Jackstands" from the local NAPA Autoparts delearship and was just tickled to read on the box that:

This stand is not designed to hold or support an automobile or other heavy vehicle. Do not attempt to work under any vehicle being secured with this part.

This is directly under a picture of a 1966 Chevelle with 2 of the Jackstands holding the front end off the ground . . . . :rotfl:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow. Those are some pretty scathing reviews. So you paid over $100 for a 1.5 ton jack just because it looked like the ones nascar uses, huh? You know they have a $24 miniature model racing jack that sounds like it would be just as useful.

Dodged that bullet- my 2.25 ton $30 jack scored a 3.5 in two reviews. It held my bike up for the better part of a winter once.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you read the post, I paid $90...but thanks for gouging me... :smilebig:

I actually bought it because it "appeared" to have some of the same features as my full-size jack...speed lift, vertical handle storage, etc....just wish I had read the reviews before I laid out the bucks... :crap:

Anyway, I was just giving a heads-up to others to do some research before making the same purchase... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I actually bought it because it "appeared" to have some of the same features as my full-size jack...speed lift, vertical handle storage, etc....just wish I had read the reviews before I laid out the bucks... :crap:
If Sears is selling a unit with extras like the foam handle cover for less than Harbor Freight then I get suspicious.

(Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices)

If it actually worked, that Craftsman would be a nice unit at a nice price. Hopefully it is just a quality control issue (like left over shavings or burr in the cylinder) and you got a good one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts